"Could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually."

Ok, I have selected everything that you said in the screenshot above and now I’m just waiting for it to finish. I’ll reply when its done and working.

YESSS!!! Thank You So Much, Dan!!! It Worked

1 Like

This is quite a common problem that can happen for a number of reasons. Seeing as this link get’s a lot of traffic from Google, I thought I should summarise some of the most common issues:

If you are getting this error then that is because C++ code needs to be built but it failed to build. Unlike other engines like Unity, an Unreal project cannot be opened if the C++ code does not compile.

If you’re getting that on a project you’ve been working on already then that is likely due to a compilation error. In order to find out why it’s failing, you will need to find the logs which would show you the error with your code. The process of how to find logs is documented in the lecture titled “Helping Us Help You”. If you don’t understand the log please submit a new post with its contents.

Once you have fixed the code, you should be able to recompile from within Visual Studio or by reopening the project.

On Windows, you can find the log in Documents\Unreal Projects\YOU PROJECT NAME\Saved\Logs

On Mac you must go to ~/Library/Logs/Unreal Engine/Editor/UE4.log

If you’re following our course and just opening the BullCowGame project for the first time:

• You did not install Visual Studio Community with the following settings (Windows Only)
  • You have an incompatible macOS/Xcode and Unreal version (4.26 is the min version for Big Sur)
  • You did not extract the zip. The zip should be extracted and the .uproject in the extracted folder should be used.
  • You extracted it to a privileged area e.g. “C:\Program Files” it should instead be extracted to somewhere like your Documents folder (C:\Users\YourName\Documents)`
  • You’ve used Non-English characters in the path to the project.
5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms