(Constructive Criticism) Scatter

First, I love every course I have done with GameDev.tv. You guys are great.

Also, Nathan specifically is really good.

However, it would be a great improvement to be a little more scripted. While it’s nice to see the thought process play out, and we can learn from that, it makes it more difficult to follow the topic if we bounce around a lot.

For example, you wouldn’t write your entire Unit.cs script and say “you’ll understand why we have these methods later.” Creating things as they are used is helpful for following. On the other hand, you can get to a point where you bounce too much, or worse, where you are making decisions on the fly that cause unnecessary revisits, like creating a private field, in a script, then going back to another script and realizing that it needs to be public or have a getter and going back to change it.

The example that triggered me to take the time to write this was just bouncing in a single script in a weird way. The Unit Chasing video and the if/else setup in the Update method of the UnitMovement.cs script, was very incohesive.

Again, thanks for these. Love GameDev.tv. Love you all of you guys. Hope this is helpful.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

Privacy & Terms