Compile errors with .json files?

Is this happening to anyone else?

When I try to compile, it returns the error:
ERROR: Unhandled exception: Dependency file "PathtoProject\ObstacleAssault\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UnrealEditor\Development\ObstacleAssault\MovingPlatform.cpp.lc.json" version ("1.2") is not supported version

Navigating to the directories, and changing all the versions of the .json files from 1.2 to 1.0 temporarily fixes things (I found other people who had the same error and fixed it that way), but every time I compile, it generates new .json files that revert back to 1.2.

How do you fix this?

1 Like

Can you compile with Unreal closed?

Yes, this happens when I recompile using live coding

Does this work for you?

1 Like

I have this problem when building from VS Code, the solution posted by DanM doesnā€™t change anything. I even tried restarting the pc.

Edit:

After the changes posted di DanM I kept having problems with an error like
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file ā€˜delayimp.libā€™

In the end I found a fix but I donā€™t know how to implement it in VSCode so just switched to Visual Studio:

Opening the solution, going to Project ā†’ Properties ā†’ under Configuration Properties ā†’ VC++ Directories ā†’ and adding $(LibraryPath) as a Library Directories

Donā€™t know why but after a day of uninstalling and fixing things only this solution using VS2022 works.

Has there been any updates to this problem? I am unable to move forward. I have tried both VSCode and Visual Studio 2022. Solutions above are not currently working

I went into the file path where the JSON files were located. I think after the fix DanM suggested you have to go into the file path of the error and delete the old files. It is working nowā€¦

Iā€™ve got to section 3, video 44. This is as far as my compiling gets

This is what I have done:

Did you do a full rebuild after applying that workaround? You can ensure that by deleting the Binaries and Intermediate folders.

Iā€™m experiencing the same issues. I followed your advice and selected the ā€˜MSVC v143 - VS 2022 C++ x64/x86 build tools (v14.30-17.0)ā€™ option. This initially did nothing for me. But after renaming the ā€œBinariesā€ and ā€œIntermediateā€ folders, I tried to open the Unreal project file and got an error: ā€œThe following modules are missing or built with a different engine version. Would you like to rebuild them now?ā€ I answer Yes but then get Error: ā€œ[project] could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually.ā€ By this point, the Intermediate folder was re-created but not the Binaries folder. So I just renamed the Binaries folder back to its original name. Now the Unreal project opens but when I go to Live Coding, I get a new error: ā€œPlatform Win64 is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.ā€

So, to recap, here is what I did.

1. Run Visual Studio Installer
  2. Modify
  3. Individual components tab
  4. Selected ā€œMSVC v143 - VS 2022 C++ x64/x86 build tools (v14.30-17.0)ā€ option
  5. Modified BuildConfiguration.xml file as you described above
  6. Renamed ā€œBinariesā€ folder to something elseā€¦ but I donā€™t think this step is necessary. If this step is done, then I went back and renamed the Binaries folder back to its original name after trying to start the Unreal project (step 8) and getting an error.
  7. Renamed ā€œIntermediateā€ folder to something else
  8. Start the Unreal Project
  9. Go to Live Coding
  10. Receive error ā€œPlatform Win64 is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.ā€

I also went through theses steps and even had to rebuild modules when I ran my project. Now I am stuck getting the same error:

ā€œERROR: Platform Win64 is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.ā€

I even tried reinstalling and repairing my SDK and Runtime to no avail.

Okay, so I FINALLY got this to work after some back and forthā€¦

After I went through the first steps of modifying through the Visual Studio Installer to ā€œMSVC v143 - VS 2022 C++ x64/x86 build tools (v14.30-17.0)ā€

I then modified the BuildConfiguration.xml file like above.

After that I ended up getting the ā€œPlatform Win64 is not validā€¦ā€ error so I went and found the windows SDK installer and the archive for any previous versions of it. I use Windows 11 so that is the one I went with.

That can be found here: Windows SDK and emulator archive | Microsoft Developer

After installing that, I THEN deleted the binary and intermediate folders in the documents folder for the project.

One full restart of all my programs and deleting the class files in the source folder to restart a bit more fresh, and everything is compiling as it should now.

I have this error as well. The error is generated in Visual Code standalone and the Live Code feature in Unreal as well. Some clear instructions from the GameDev Team would be good.

Manually changing all the *.json files in the folders below the ObstacleAssault\Intermediate\Build\Win64 directory to version 1.0 works - but I assume these will get regenerated with the 1.2 version and the error will be generated again.

I installed the older tool chain and updated the BuildConfiguration.xml file but now get the error in the Live Build -
ERROR: Unable to patch action graph - unexpected executable in compile action (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.19041.0\x64\rc.exe)
Build failed

Update:
So I have been able to compile standalone in Visual Code and Visual Studio 2022 but the Live Code feature within UE does not work with the above error ā€œError: Unable to patch action graph ā€¦ā€. I have to shut down UE for a succesful build otherwise I get random compile errors., which makes the ā€˜edit - compile - runā€™ loop quite long.

Update2:
I disabled the Live Code in the Editor preferences in UE so it seems to do a longer compile but after removing the intermediate folder and restarting it now at least compiles from UE. The *.json generated files have a version 1.1 which seems to keep everything happy :slight_smile: . I got it working with the Visual Studio 2022 IDE - it may work with Visual Code as well but as I have something working and spent a few hours on this issue Iā€™m sticking with it :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms