Checkout GameDev.tv's new game sharing service - ShareMyGame.com

Just ran into the same problem of the file allegedly being too large:

zip is 29,5 MB, original folder 35,4, index.html is in there as well and all works locally.

edit: also gamebucket eats it without hesitation, so the game files themselves seem to be alright.

Could you send me the file to test with?

@Thuy @Vikinuts @Efrye684 You should find the size issue you all experienced has been fixed. Thanks to @Efrye684 for providing the file that allowed me to diagnose the issue.

Hi,

Iā€™m trying to upload my game to ShareMyGame.com. I initially built it for web player, but came across this problem:

So Iā€™ve been trying to build it as a WebGL, which should have the index fileā€¦ Except for some reason Unity does not have any option for building to WebGL in my build settings, even after scrolling through them all.

I am using Unity 4.6.9f1 (as using Unity 4.6.x is recommended for the beginning of the Unity course Iā€™m taking).

I have tried renaming my Web Player files to ā€œIndexā€, but renaming the files caused the game to break, while naming the entire folder ā€œIndexā€ on build caused it to create an empty folder.

Iā€™ve been trying to find ways to get WebGL back on to Unity build settings, but am stuck. I tried rerunning the Unity 4.6 installer to select any optional components, but on my Mac, there are no optional components to select at all during the installation process.

Iā€™d appreciate any help! Thank you :slight_smile:

WebGL was introduced around Unity 5.3 or 5.4 from memory, so unless you upgrade to a more recent version you wonā€™t have support for WebGL as part of your Unity product.

1 Like

Alright, makes sense. Thanks! I thought they would have made ShareMyGame compatible with later versions too though, as what seems to be the main unity course here uses Unity 4.6 to teach the first half of the course.

Hi,

When you say later versions, do you mean older? Assuming so, itā€™s the underlying technology required for the Unity Web Player that is the real issue, most modern browsers no longer support it, hence why so many people who share games on the forum at the moment, following the course, tend not to get many people providing feedback, as no one can play their games.

The team have provided resources / lectures on the differences between the older version of Unity and the more recent (5+), so you could potentially upgrade, you would then be able to build using WebGL. You would find one or two minor issues as you progress but nothing that hasnā€™t already been asked / resolved here already.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Yes sorry, thatā€™s what I meant! And yes, I do have Unity 5 as well. I ended up just going back to gamebucket.io to upload it, which worked. Thanks for the help though!

1 Like

How do I do this on windows 10 on a PC?

Using Unity 5.4+, select WebGL as the build type.

From memory Unity prompts you for a location for the build to be placed. Choose a location easy to find (desktop perhaps). Zip the created folder then use the website to upload.

1 Like

There seems to be a reference error with the spinning wheel if you inspect the site and view the console it keeps stating that the spinner is not defined.

Seems to be spitting out a 404 error.

I am also getting another error via console

TypeError: data.responseJSON is undefined

my game never seems to process, how long would a 13mb file take process? [UPDATE] Looks like once I get the above errors it actually stops processing the game. Anyone have an idea as to what I should do?

Thanks

Wadricks

Could you drop me the file youā€™re trying to upload?

Thanks for that, Iā€™ll give it a shot. Iā€™m having the same problem.

Hi Sam,
Having trouble uploading my Game. File to large. It is large, 96mb zipped. If I do not use any compression in the unity build the file size is 126mb. I listed my project in the Showcase-cu2_s03_sharing_with_teaser_video. You can take a look at them there. Uploaded the game to gamebucket. Works but slowly. I read the postings above and about the Web GL guidelines.

Have a few question I hope you can help me with.
When building for WebGL do most games stay within the 256mb default setting in Unity Build? Had to set my game to 384mb to get to work and seems to run better at 512mb.

What is the number one consideration when building scene assets (poly/vert count, Texture/Shader use, lighting/reflection detail etcā€¦) for Web GL? Some of the graphics do not look as nice as the pc build version.

What in my game should I be looking at to reduce the build size? Or does it matter?
I would like to be able to up load to ShareMyGame.
Thanks for your time.

Mostly the size will be influenced by texture sizes.

I am having an issue where the game will not go to full screen. I am not sure what to try other than clicking the ā€œfullscreenā€ button in the bottom corner of the site when the game is pulled up and running will not work. Thank you for your time.

Iā€™m having the same issue.

I also have the same issue. Running from localhost is working fine, but from sharemygame Iā€™m unable to go full screen. (Chrome, Microsoft Edge).

Can someone share a link with me?

Privacy & Terms