Casting A Fireball In The RPG

This post covers the few lectures where we were making a fireball in the RPG.

If you’ve made your own fireball, please do share a screenshot or video!

1 Like

1 Like

You said to “add a bit of flare” :wink:

2 Likes

Awesome graphics Jason_Martin - love the “fireball”

Here is mine

1 Like

Still Working on my smoke effect

1 Like

I went super simple for now, sphere + trail

Snippet10

Added point light in the fireball.

1 Like

My wand of fire. After recording the video, I noticed that the fireball needs to instantiate near the tip of the wand. No big deal, will work on that later.

Aside: I will vanish for a while until there are some updates to the class. Also, I highly recommend the “Trees Variety” pack by ILRANCH from the asset store. I caught it on sale in May, but even at it’s current price it is still a good buy. It uses the older ‘Unity Tree’ system instead of Speed Tree but it has a large number of good tree models that are easy to modify.

I was playing my son’s BOTW (for research purposes of course) and noticed that all the trees had one thing in common, there were no low branches (except apple trees.) It took me a while to realize that this was done to keep the camera from being block or collided with. A bit of experimentation showed me that i could modify the “Unity Tree” based trees to do that too. It makes my game play a lot better now.

3 Likes

I’ve been stitching things together and this is what I have come up with so far. I realize the class has not reached menus and inventory yet, but I was impatient. Please ignore the quality of the levels (especially lighting) I will be working on that as soon as I get my inventory system up and running.

1 Like

Added a few things such as ability to switch weapons, flashes red while taking damage, gravity arc and area damage for the fireball!

1 Like

Still playing around with some ideas. I noticed that I was having terrible frame-rate problems. I spent some time trying to work around that and then realized it was my lame graphics card. I’ve since been messing with LowPoly style just so that my desktop can keep up. Now I can get back to 60 FPS.

2 Likes

Good problem solving!