Cant reconnect to a game after leaving it when using steam

This was not gone over in the course, so i was wondering how to go about leaving a game properly.If a client disconnected or left willingly and still be able to reconnect to the same game? As of right now if a client leaves a game they can not reconnect to the game they had just been connected to. The game will not show up in the list.

just giving this a bump cause im still trying to figure this out.

Have a look through the forums here. Other students have answered this one for me.

I did look thru this forum on the steam section it is not answered for when using steam. steam and lan connect work differently. this issue only comes up when using steam.

Hmm, I suppose you would have to disconnect as with lan but probably also leave the session. Have a poke in the docs to see what you can find.

No the issue was with that not everything was gone over during the course. quite a few things were left out on how to disconnect properly and other options for setting a game up which this course should really have added into it. paying money for a incomplete course is kinda eh glad i got it on sale…

Which were these?

I’m having the same issue. The system works perfect when using Null Subsystem, but when using Steam, you cannot connect to a session that someone already have connected to, even if it was yourself. To make it more clear:
Using 3 different computers, with 3 different Steam accounts, we try this:

1. Comp1: Hosts
  2. Comp2: Sees that host and can connect to it.
  3. Comp3: Don’t see the host.
  4. Comp2: if this computer disconnects, and try again, it cannot find the host of Comp1.

This only happens with Steam activated. If it’s not activated, the Comp3 can connect to Host without a problem, the same with the comp 2 disconnecting and reconnecting to the host.

I’ve been trying to figure out this problem for weeks and now we’re almost on our delivery deadline, so please, any help will be much appreciated.

1 Like

Seems like we are deregistering properly on disconnection.

What I have found is that is related to SESSION_NAME. It changes it on Steam…

alot of the presence checks where not gone over u only do the first one which only allows for a connection on first go then it will hide it from the players if they leave the game. if the game is in session it should allow for joining once again which there is a bool for this that is not gone over in the video i suggest adding this in to ur course. and maybe go over the other things that were left out of the course so its more indepth than just a basic setup. course is good in it helps with teaching c++ for ue4 but skips out on the real intention of the course which is setting up a proper multiplayer. if 1 or 2 things that are important to multiplayer get kept out of the course then its not complete. this is just my impressions on the course it self and is all my own opinion. but just a few things it lacks in order to be fully complete.

1 Like

no its not the name

make sure all of these are set to true

SessionSettings.bShouldAdvertise = true;
	SessionSettings.bUsesPresence = true;
	SessionSettings.bAllowJoinInProgress = true;
	SessionSettings.bAllowJoinViaPresence = true;

this was no gone over in the course on what these all do but these are very important to a proper multiplayer game.
hence my previous reply to sampattuzzi to do something about it cause all you getting from a paid course is nothing more than what u can find on the google for free …

2 Likes

Hey Invayne, thank you very much!

These lines:

where the ones that solved the problem :smile:

About the Course, is very well made and explained, and helps a lot when you just started with online. But, yes, it would be important to have those 2 lines covered on the course. I spent weeks thinking the problem was on my Steam configuration or that the 480 id allowed only 2 players… Just this week I made it work through Blueprints and the only 2 differences where those settings and the SESSION_NAME, that it seams to change in Steam (adding your user id). I haven’t figured it out all about it yet, so maybe I’m wrong about that, but at least the lines you helped me allowed me to go back to c++ :smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Would love to include this in the course but I actually don’t know myself what the second option does. Maybe @Invayne could explain? I would love to make an edit to make this clearer.

1 Like

as it says allows joining while a game is in progress.

allows joining a game in progress via a server browser list…

1 Like

My understanding was that presence was to do with joining friends from the steam overlay.

How does it know that you are joining via the server browser list? What other options are there for joining?

Privacy & Terms