Can't merge vertices

I’m using blender 2.92. It seems that I can only select one of the meshes, so then I can’t access the other one’s vertices. I tried all the merge types and merge by distance says it didn’t merge any vertices. I know there’s an auto merge button, but I’d prefer to know how to do it this way as well.

Yes that is correct.

To merge vertices they have to be in the same object. Although more than one object can be selected to be seen in Edit mode, it does not mean their vertices can interact. Objects are separate containers of meshes.

Select both objects Press Ctrl J, to join them into one mesh.
Then in edit mode you can select and merge the vertices.

1 Like

So basically the function changed so much that it doesn’t exist. I think you guys should remake just this one episode because nothing is right anymore. Ctrl+M is now just M, the bottom right info that Mike has in his videos are not on as default. If you guys need those Right click on the bar and it will let you choose what info to display. Blendermenu

And also this remove doubles which is now Merge by Distance but it doesn’t really work the same… I’d say it’s a bit irritatating.

I’ve also found a workaround, but I don’t think it would always work as intended. Since merge by distance won’t remove (at least in my case) any vertices since I can’t select all of them, I selected the ones that I wanted and hooked them into selected object. It’s doing the same thing as in Mike’s video but I’m pretty sure this won’t work in evey other case.

2 Likes

No change. It has always since the 2.8 version where viewing multiple objects in edit mode has been the case that to join verts they have to be in the same object.

Yes M for merge etc has been an irritating change that many get caught by but there has been a message inserted into a video to tell students. It may well be people need to watch a fraction longer to catch such inserted updates.
If you can select the verts to ‘hook’ them you can select them to merge them surely?

Oh hooks, can’t say I have ever noticed them before, never heard of anyone actually using them, I will have to investigate them!

1 Like

Hooks are relations between parts of objects. You can hook a vertice to an empty to animate that vertice.

1 Like

Yes UI has changed, And yes video from Michael are out of date.

But I’m a bit confused about the problems you’ve encounter.
In the past I had also a lot of questions on how to to this or why doesn’t it work like this.
But most of the problems lay in the way I had learned to think. But that was not the Blender way of working.

That kind of rewiring my brain took me some months.

Merge by distance(remove doubles) works on a single object multi mesh data block.
It was renamed to Merge by distance because it was more logical in function naming.
Also, remove doubles had a parameter to enter the radius of a single vertices to find/locate the double vertices. So basically it did just remove double by a distance.

The UI of blender is smart with the introduction of context sensitive menu’s. If you are in edit-mode, and select a group of vertices and press the right mouse button. You get a menu which has the merge by distance option.

If you have multiple objects, selected them and go into edit-mode. This option is available but doesn’t work because you have multiple objects selected. You can say/think but it needs to work like this. But it is not the way of Blender process. How Blender works. That was for me a big ‘aha’ moment.

Good luck let us know if problems still exists.

That is what I mean. If I select 2 objects in object mode and go to edit mode I can select all vertices, but if I try to remove doubles it won’t do it even though it clearly shows me all vetices are selected. It acts as if I can only work with one object. Which is annoying.

The same thing happened when I tried to do something exclusively from the keyboard. I’ve pressed everything in the same order Mike did and it had a different behaviour.

Yes, Blender can be annoying sometimes. But then it is probably the wrong way of working with Blender. It is how Blender works, it is not how the user works. It is also unlogical from Blender point of view. Why merging vertices in different objects. Then to which object should the merged vertices belong to? But it can be handy if you need two vertices in different objects in the same location.

Normal behavior is to Join meshes. You can have multiple meshes in one object, you can have multiple textures in one object, you can have multiple uv-maps in one object, you can identify mesh groups in a single object …

Blender UI is changing at every release. Only solution, is to installe the version Michael is using.

Ah I had a suspicion it might be an animation use thing. Thanks.

So, after trial and error and more challenges, Mike did that thing I couldn’t do earlier again. So I tried copying it just to check the Merge Vertices ( Remove doubles). It seems to work the same as before. Thing is, I pressed exactly the same buttons as he has. The first time, probably by mistake it woked. Then I tried again. The second time something weird happened to one of the faces, intead of merging to form a triangle, it went inside the object. Then, I tried it a 3rd time and I found out that I only missed something. Either the axis I choose was wrong, or I did not select the face at the right moment. I admit, I did a begginer’s mistake, but the first time I tried many times and it did not work. Now, I don’t know what I might have done wrong yesterday, but now I can confirm that it was my mistake. Mike’s video is fine, I’m the one that got all worked up for nothing. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! For your clear answer, it helps other students too!

In the past, I created many, many problems (by myself), by pressing hot-keys in the wrong window and or combinations. Hot-keys are handy, but sometimes you press the wrong key by accident (or twice). Or you didn’t close the previous sequence, as in Alt-d or Shift D for duplications. And ‘e’ for extrude is also a source of user errors because the user interface doesn’t give feedback.

You will learn, don’t give up. Ask for help. Even if people (like me - sorry for that) don’t immediately understand what kind of problems students have. I did the course in 2016, so then the chapters were up to date. They kept the old ones, but also introducing new study materials.

Have fun, enjoy Blender.

2 Likes

I am trying to help everyone understand if they might make the same mistakes as me. Thing was that I tried to “remove doubles” many many times and the behaviour was never the same as in Mike’s video. After copying step by step (in the barn challenge) I managed to get the same results. I understand that Blender is a tough software and it is going to take a while to comprehend the way it works. Just now I had to watch 3 tutorials on Youtube on how to change the camera’s render distance because I couldn’t find it. Apparently I was in edit mode. :unamused: How clumsy am I? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

One of the most baffling things with Blender can be where they put the buttons! Often seeming completely crazy, but often having a professional user culture, viewpoint. Let alone when they move them just as you got used to finding them in one place. :rofl:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms