C1001 error

Hey there,
I’m getting the following error when I try to build the SteamWorksExample project.

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error C1001 Internal compiler error. SteamworksExample D:\development\Unreal Projects\SteamWorks\sdk\public\steam\steam_api_common.h 156

which leads to line 156:

I’ve seen another topic here related to this issue, but it is now locked.

Here are other relevant logs:

Build started...
1>------ Build started: Project: SteamworksExample, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(39,5): warning MSB4211: The property "IntermediateOutputPath" is being set to a value for the first time, but it was already consumed at "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets (38,5)".
1>D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.BuildSteps.Targets(29,5): warning MSB4211: The property "DebugType" is being set to a value for the first time, but it was already consumed at "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.BuildSteps.Targets (28,5)".
1>D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(370,5): warning MSB4211: The property "CleanFile" is being set to a value for the first time, but it was already consumed at "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets (38,5)".
1>cl : command line warning D9035: option 'Gm' has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release
1>voicechat.cpp
1>stdafx.cpp
1>p2pauth.cpp
1>D:\development\Unreal Projects\SteamWorks\sdk\public\steam\steam_api_common.h(156,1): fatal error C1001: Internal compiler error.
1>(compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1588)
1> To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
1>If possible please provide a repro here: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com
1>Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
1> Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
1>D:\development\Unreal Projects\SteamWorks\sdk\public\steam\steam_api_common.h(200): message : see reference to class template instantiation 'CCallbackImpl<8>' being compiled
1>D:\development\Unreal Projects\SteamWorks\sdk\steamworksexample\Inventory.h(55): message : see reference to class template instantiation 'CCallback<CSpaceWarLocalInventory,SteamInventoryResultReady_t,false>' being compiled
1>INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR in 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.28.29910\bin\HostX86\x86\CL.exe'
1>    Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
1>    Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
1>Done building project "SteamworksExample.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
1 Like

I get this error too and I have no idea how to fix it :frowning:

I got the same problem. I solved it by changing the compiler in Visual Studio because it seems like there is a bug or conflict with the recent MSVC version.

Try installing the older version (MSVC v141, v140) or other compiler like what I did with Clang ( C++ Clang tools for Windows).

You could install them by opening Visual Studio Installer, under Desktop development with C++.

Then open the project property window in the example project, change the Platform toolset.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hi. There’s a very easy way of solving issues with SteamWorks.

You’ll need this link and also follow the steps in the image attached.

Unfortunately neither of these solutions works for me. The second one makes no difference. The first one just generates a lot of different errors. Has anyone managed to fix this “properly”?
I managed to get it working “improperly” by commenting out line 156 “friend class CCallbackMgr;” in the file steam_api_common.h

1 Like

I was able to build it fine before finding the solution but I’m used to working with DirectX and C++ on a daily basis anyway.

The second solution I stumbled upon when looking to modernise applications that used DirectX June 2010 SDK which is pretty much discontinued. This solution has enabled a few students to build successfully when they were commenting out line 156 as you have done. The above image was taken from the solution I posted elsewhere for this.

Try a fresh unzip of the software and the second solution and you have to ensure you have C++ for Studio configured correctly as well.

Share the errors you’re getting too and I’ll try and help you get it building.

It’s useful to see Steamworks working but you can skip this if really stuck.

FYI, I used this second method with v1.5.1

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms