C++ use rather than Blueprint?

Is there a reason so much of this course is done in C++ rather than blueprints? If so, it would be nice to have it stated so I could understand it better. I’ve heard that most networking logic needs to be in C++, but the trigger volume, movement stuff seems to be c++ out of preference more than need, correct?

Without sounding rude the course title is unreal multiplayer in c++. But that said it came from the original c++ unreal course. It is a more intermediate course. You can certainly do stuff in blueprints but you will then have to pull information from blue printers into c++. That is more complex. Keeping as much in c++ continued the learning. The progression was the initial learn c++ with unreal, then into unreal multiplayer.

Not rude at all, I appreciate the answer. I came to the course from the UE site without a previous lead up in what might have came prior. And as it’s the official recommended course for UE multiplayer I assumed it would use current best practices regardless of what earlier classes might have or might not have been doing.

Per that question, are you confirming that they are going out of their way to not use blueprints or is this a preferred method to handle these actions when doing networked setups?

I’ve just finished the multiplayer course (which I thought overall was excellent although not quite what I was expecting). It’s a mix of using it as a tool to continue to develop c++ skills whilst also introducing the multiplayer concepts and the krazykarts section is especially good at running through the challenges dealing with lag etc. however it’s abstracted, looking at and solving the challenges in general using unreal, c++ and maths, not purely using native unreal components etc. which I found invaluable as a baseline but it’s not a follow through that you then go and implement directly into your game, it’s more than that really and I would say its a masterclass in the challenges of coding multiplayer in general not just unreal that you can then have in mind at you look at the native unreal offering and components that have that built in.

Saying that there is plenty of Unreal specific like getting your head around what’s server, simulated proxy, autonomous proxy etc.

I think overall in general (not just this course) I have the same thoughts as I suspect you might be having which is I don’t see anything currently that I would say has to be c++ in my mind, however, I was looking to learn c++ and blueprinting and having a good understanding of both really helped me and they both cross over so it was not wasted time for me, far from it.

I think when I launch into the personal project I have in mind I’ll use blueprint to prototype then if I run into any performance issues of lack of functionality break that out into c++ but maximise blueprint as it’s way quicker and avoids the somewhat clunky compile and restart etc. you end up doing with c++ and unreal.

Edit: The Steam SubSystem section is very useful as well, that would have taken me an age to figure out on my own, I just skipped the bits making the menus pretty as I have to be in the zone for UI :slight_smile: but those sections are standalone so you can just bind a button and move on unless you fell like prettying it up at that point.

Not sure if that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms