BullCowGame could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually

I solved this problem. Hope it will be useful. Open BullCowGame in Visual studio and change written version of Unreal Engine. I had version 4.22.3 on my computer but in game file it was written 4.22 so I changed version to 4.22.3. And if path to your game contains non-English characters, try to change its destination.

5 Likes

I had the same error, tried changing the Platform Compiler Version in another project as I couldn’t open the BullCowGame to do it in that, so that did literally nothing to help things. So what I tried next was reinstalled VS 2019, this still did not help in UE 4.22.3 and I couldn’t even create a C++ project with 4.22.3. So I tried to create a project with UE 4.24.3 hoping maybe it would work with VS 2019 as its newer…well it was able to create a project and even told me I needed to install an additional NET plugin which it opened and I was able to install and it created the project. So this got VS 2019 working with 4.24.3. Then in the hopes to open the BullCowGame I closed the project I had just gotten to work and relaunched 4.24.3 and rather than creating a project I went and Browsed for the BullCowGame and then tried to open it, well it worked!. I tried this as a last resort as I could not get it to open in 4.22.3 even after all this, but I am happy to say it did open in 4.24.3. So I don’t know if reinstalling it is the answer, you maybe able to just try to open it in 4.24.3 as I mentioned, but if not I have told you everything I did to get it in 4.24.3. I do hope this helps others, as many of the other things I read here did nothing for me…

1 Like

I had the same issue, same message and culdn’t run the bullcow game, What I did is just to open the visual studio 2019 community installer and to download the .NET module for Windows and mobile apps and reopen BullCowGame and done.

Another solution I found was to download unreal engine 4.22.3 in the epic games launcher - go to library - click on the “+” icon next to “Engine Versions” and find 4.22.3.

It uploaded right away and have had no issues.

1 Like

this worked for me- thanks!

I installed VS 2017 and it worked fine. You can also have multiple versions of VS installed at once.

Solution from SaintRook re changeing the EngineAssociation to “4.22.3”

This solution was the one that worked for me, tried various other potential solutions that didn’t resolve my problem with the build before I could open the project - used notepad to change the file (BullCowGame.uproject)

For me the problem was i didn’t have .Net Framework sdk installed with visual studio (i didn’t check the Unreal Engine box at the VS installation, maybe that’s why).

So what I did is, in Visual Studio, Tools -> Get tools and features, then in the Individual Components tab selected latest .net feamework sdk (4.8) and installed it

And now Unreal knows how to interact with visual Studio I guess.

I have the same problem! PLease help. I cant find ‘Platforms > Windows’ anywhere when i go on the preferences!

I can’t find this when i type in ‘Toolchain’ or ‘Compiler’ or Platform. Im using a Mac!

Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 21.10.08|690x410

what Should I do?

Please make your own thread with the contents of the log in Saved > Logs

Hi Dan, For some reason i didnt get a ‘Saved’ folder so cant see Logs. Do you know why?
Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 12.02.46

Did you extract the zip? If so where to?

Good news!!! I fixed it.
Instead of placing and opening the folder from my USB, I decided to just open it straight from the ‘Downloads’ folder and it managed to work and open the Bull game on UE4EDITOR

1 Like

hy i had the same problem as you and i came here to see your suggestions.well what i did is that i changed the platform settings from default into visual studio 2019 and then i updated visual studio and install the unreal launcher . AND it worked i just have one message left i want to ask you if it will cause any problems

Just save the level.

1 Like

yeah okay thanks!

I had installed previously UE 4.25.1 is there anyway to run it in this version or i have to install 4.22 version ?

Solved it, Installed SDK on Windows 10 and now it works like a charm

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms