Building the steamworks example (win 10 and vs 2017)

I had some trouble following the includes and library suggestions to rearrange/add and ended up deleting the sdk after a few failed attempts. The 2nd time around I did this…

1. make sure you install the directx sdk (june 2010) (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812)
  2. Once you unzip the steamworks sdk and open “SteamworksExample.sln”, right-click the project in the solution explorer and choose “properties” and select the “VC++ Directories” on the left of the window
  3. Click on the “Include Directories” on the right side of the line where the paths are listed and you will see a dropdown selection, click that and in there you should see “Edit”, click that and it opens a new window.
  4. Click the yellow folder icon at the top right, then click the 3 dots to choose the include folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Include), then click ok to go back to the properties window.
  5. Now click on the “Library Directories” the same way you did the include (right side of the window, “edit”,) and once again click the yellow folder icon and select this path (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Lib\x86) and click ok and ok again to close the properties window.
  6. Rebuild the program and it should compile.

TL:DR
Include path to add
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Include

Library path to add
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Lib\x86

6 Likes

Thanks heaps! this stuff always confuses me

1 Like

Much appreciated. I couldn’t get the solution shown in the video to work for me.

1 Like

that’s great solution and I confirm my code worked.

1 Like

hey, the link is invalid. any other link

I’m going to look at including these instructions as the default in the video. Thanks for putting this together.

1 Like

Sorry, my original post is pretty old now. The Directx sdk is now included in the Windows 10 SDK. Here’s the latest link

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/sdk-archive/

Privacy & Terms