Build Error: Unable to find rules

I found another thread with this same error but it had already been closed.
I followed the advice in that thread and moved my project files from D:\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Unreal Projects to D:\Unreal Projects.

I closed out both UE5 and VSCode then launched VSCode using the new file location but I’m still getting the same error message with the program trying to access the same path instead of the new location.

Also, it now seems unable to find core components.

Only other thing to mention is that none of this happened until I got a live coding issue and unchecked live coding as recommended in the Live Coding Issues video (after trying the Ctrl+Shift+B method first). Now I can’t get live coding to work either.

Live coding error message: Live Coding cannot be enabled while hot-reloaded modules are active. Please close the editor and build from your IDE before restarting.

Screenshot 2022-07-12 131342

This is the error message I get when I try to run the build task:

Using bundled DotNet SDK
Log file: C:\Users\brian\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log.txt
Creating makefile for ObstacleAssaultEditor (no existing makefile)
ERROR: Couldn’t find target rules file for target ‘ObstacleAssaultEditor’ in rules assembly ‘UE5Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’.
** Location: D:\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Engine\Intermediate\Build\BuildRules\UE5Rules.dll**
** Target rules found:**
The terminal process “C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat ObstacleAssaultEditor Win64 Development -waitmutex” terminated with exit code: 1.

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

Hi @Minotaur, welcome to the community!

You have posted your question in the ‘Unity Courses’ section of the forum, but it is clearly an Unreal post. You will find more answers if you edit your post and change the tag to ‘Unreal Courses’

Thanks @bixarrio. Missed that bit

No problem

Update: After searching the forums more I decided to do a full rebuild by deleting the Binaries and Intermediate folders. Rebuild was successful and live coding now seems to be working in UE5.

Still getting the same errors when trying to do the build in VSCode

Figured it out.

1. Deleted Binaries and Intermediate folders, then did a total rebuild of UE5 project file
  2. Deleted .vscode folder
  3. Went to the Tools tab in UE5 and clicked on rebuild C++ code for project

This rebuilt the .vscode folder using the right file paths for the new folder location and allowed everything to register properly.

On a side note, I now have the option in UE5 under Tools to refresh Visual Studio Code Project. This wasn’t there previously…I think because of moving the folder containing the project files. If you have the option to refresh then you may not need to delete the .vscode folder. Any final opinions by someone with more experience wouldn’t hurt.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms