Board Game Tutorial please!

And I don’t mean Monopoly… I cant express enough how needed this course actually is. The learning community simply doesn’t have a single one and nearly zero asset store support for the genre. There is SO much that can be learned from this.

Hex based movement systems. Endless GUI layout with a robust variable assignment system for updating attributes like Strength and Dexterity. Coroutines for procedural turns that happen in stages (i.e. movement => resources => invasion => end turn etc…) Acquiring victory points in real-time during gameplay. Event cards that are drawn each turn and cards that are played that directly affect gameplay and much, much more This also opens up great opportunities to learn some bread and butter third-party apps like iTween and simple alternative languages like JSON for serializing inventory.

Level design would be a blast as well; implementing static Blender models like statuettes that slide around or fully animated characters that run into position.

Further, this works right into multiplayer basics, perhaps a four-player experience for example, and gets our hands dirty with a network manager.

And lastly, and nearly most important of all, nothing speaks to learning AI like a turn-based board game.

I hope others feel the same!! And if anyone finally does make this course I really hope its Ben and his team!

Examples of possible projects…

DESKTOP: The Witcher Board Game

MOBILE: Talisman

Privacy & Terms