The Turn-Based Tactician - Create Tabletop Style Games In Unity With C#

Definite buy - this is why I’m in the boardgame course :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am very interested in this kind of games, and I have a few ideas how to start, but I’ll love to learn from you a good foundation of how to create these games.

I think starting it with Tactical Turn-Based and Tabletop Style Games sound better.

Pretty please??

Ben you guys are making more courses than I can take, but I would also get this one…

Cheers

1 Like

I’d be for that.

Turn-based Board-Game? It sounds like a nice add-on to the main course, as well as a good way to force people to get into coding! I personally think it would be best to go down the route of a card-trading game as it would show a lot more interesting code on creating and accessing databases of information in code (something you’ve skimmed around in previous courses). Any X-Com or Clash Royale-cloans also put a large emphasis on graphics/animations. Whilst you could use code (or DOTWeen) to animate 3D cards, I personally would prefer to learn about the coding cycle itself rather than have a few hours of you planning out animations, placements, designs and so on.

Before I’d back this kind of course, I’d want to see a couple features guaranteed though:

• 3-4 different examples of C# code plans; planning files, what each file does and how they’d communicate (i.e. 1 plan where you have a GameManager, PlayerManager, CardManager, etc.; another plan where you hold data on a HandManager instead. Show different ways that different games could be organised. What if there were more than 2 players? How would code be planned then? etc.) explain advantages/disadvantages of each method (i.e. complexity vs future support, ease of improving code, etc.)
  • AI code included (either written from scratch for a simple card game, or shared with us and explained how it works as an in-depth video).
  • Multiplayer support through Unity services, showing us how you’d set up lobbies, create rooms, join others and share information between machines. Teach people from the start how to write games to support multiplayer addition at a later date. Don’t lead us down a simple path now just so that they have to break bad habits later and re-write code should they want to make it multiplayer.

These are all fairly complex features, I’m not sure if the idea is to appeal to new developers (getting people into Unity) or if it’s a continuation post-Complete Course (or Cert Dev course). Hopefully you could also offer a high quality standard-layout card deck sprite pack (including a card back) whether or not you’re using a regular deck in your game. It would enable people to go and make their favourite real-life card game inside Unity next, so that the learning doesn’t end once the course is complete.

6 Likes

I’ve always thought it would be fun to make a turn based game like FF Tactics or maybe even the more recent Pit People by Behemoth games.

Command and Conquer style game with ability to create bases etc would be great.

I would also be very interested in any of below course ideas:

• Augmented Reality for Mobile phones
  • God type games such as Black and White, From Dust or Sims.
  • Simulators like sim city, rollercoaster tycoon, theme hospital.
1 Like

Tactical Turn Based Tatician.

Well Ben, seems you have your answer you sly dog, as if you didn’t already know. Now, get him working on it ASAP before you have a full fledged revolt. Ha.

+1

I would totally love this. That’s the main reason I wanted to start learning Unity. Love the Advance Wars / XCOM / Civilization type of games. It would complete the training I already have on Unity and point int unto the right direction :slight_smile:

My suggestion would be to call it a Tactical Command Simulator and name it “Tac-Com” that way you can keep the x-com’ish name pointer.

haha you could even have it be a modified Tic-Tack-Toe game and call it “tak-Com” setting would be a tic tack toe type board made out of a corn field and you and another flying saucer leave crop circles to make a game out of it :wink:

honestly this sort of content is what i was hoping to get out of the last two classes. If you did a two player tic tac toe game I’d be happy, but what i’d really like to see is how you go about managing disparate player states between turns

It would be great to have this course

So where do I leave to the blood sacrifice to get this course going?

2 Likes

Yes ! Big Yes. i wouldn’t just buy that course, i’d pre order it too :slight_smile:

It would probably be something I would get after I got through the other courses that I currently have that are associated with Ben! Currently working through the UE4 course and I love it!

Show me how to make a card game and I will happily pay full price!

Privacy & Terms