BMW Test in Blender 2.8 - Cycles and Eevee

Got the BMW Demo to try some stuff with Eevee.
At first of course it didn’t look good because some series of things…

Some of the materials that are prepared for Cycles did not work, so I changed some Chromed materials and most importantly the “Glass” stuff.

“Mesh with Emissive” for Eevee just works for gloss and bloom, not actual light source. I tried to adding some Area Lamps but wasn’t looking good as the original file so I had to make some changes for comparison purposes… So used an “Environment Texture” that you can find in the files of 2.8 (2.80\datafiles\studiolights\world) to have the lighting and reflections of the scene.

For the Shadows in Eevee what I did was adding a Sun and setting the Specular to 0 so it didn’t affect the materials and brightness of the scene and cast just the shadows

Tried to match Cycles and Eevee close as possible(for me at least … i’m just a begginer in 3D modeling and rendering)… But look at this comparison with Cycles and Eevee both in Blender 2.8:

Cycles - 1920 x 1080 - 400 samples… 2:13 minutes

Eevee - 1920 x 1080 - 400 samples… 21 seconds

But… you don’t need to go this high to have nearly the same result…
Eevee - 1920 x 1080 - 100 samples… 8 seconds

Looks like I chose the right time to start learning Blender :smiley:

4 Likes

How did you fix the glass? can you please post the exact nodes? If possible, can you just share the .blend file?

Oh. What i used was a property in the material tab, not in the nodes.
Where you need to set to Alpha Blend or something like that and there are also sliders for refraction

EDIT: Actually despite it works to a certain degree to make stuff transparent, it’s better having the actual shader doing the job right?

Remembered now that when I was importing materials from 2.79, sometimes the “Material Output” node needed to be replaced by the 2.8 “Material Output” node. Yep looks like it’s another version of the same node… since it has selection box with 3 choices all, cycles and eevee. (back then was 2.8 alpha 1 though, maybe it doesn’t matter today in beta)

With this done, you can set a simple Glass Material mix with Transparency and enable the Refraction in the Material Tab, while keeping the Blend Mode as Opaque.

Anyways… here is the file BMW27_Eevee.blend (3.0 MB)

I know that this is a bit late, but how does that glass shader hold up? Usually with a lot of glass shaders it blocks out too much light. One day I found a very good solution on handling glass. Here is the node setup with a picture of the results.

1 Like

If you look the post above, you’ll notice that the eevee material I set was a mix shader set to 0.8 glass and transparent.

Eevee is a different beast :slight_smile:

Also If you didn’t notice, I uploaded the file of the modded demo for eevee.(bottom of the post above)

Privacy & Terms