Blender not responding during painting

I am in section 9 of the Blender Character Creator course (Painting): I cannot figure out what is going wrong. I have wierd lines appearing on my ogre and every time I try to paint, Blender freezes and stops responding for a few seconds. I have saved the blender file in my google drive, refer to the link below:

(https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k-4AsFV-P3856petvqSSSPPKQtCob6-x/view?usp=sharing)

Looking forward to any help.
Kind Regards

1 Like

To paint on a mesh, with a UV map, is hard work for a computer (Blender).
Basically, Blender can not process fast enough of your paint onto the bitmap.
There are some options to configure in Blender to spread things up.
But I forgot. try to search the web also.
For me (having an old machine) it didnā€™t help. And I know some Blender users with high-end machines do have this problem also. So itā€™s all about Blender configuration and or driver (maybe).

Hi FedPete,

Thank you for the quick response. I will have a search for optimizing my blender.

Kind Regards

1 Like

Maybe @bOBaN or @NP5 do have an answer to set you in the right direction.
I, myself do have this problem also. 10secs of drawing then it freezes a sec and continues. Very annoying.

1 Like

It works for me. Which suggests a computer issue.

1 Like

It does freeze for me when I paint quicklyā€¦

First try as gif:

Second try I recorded it with higher quality and used YT:

I have no idea what might be causing thisā€¦ but if it happens on 2 PCs that is most probably not hardware issueā€¦

EDIT: I donā€™t recall having this issue when I was working on my Ogreā€¦

EDIT2: I opened my old filesā€¦ and the painting experience was not great - with broad strokes it was laggyā€¦ but I didnā€™t experienced any freezes like the one on above videosā€¦ and Iā€™ve been using 4k textures thereā€¦ Maybe something with UVs?

EDIT3: And for advice what to do with itā€¦ My advice will probably be totally unhelpful. Donā€™t use Blender for texture painting until they fix it. Use something like Substance 3d Painter (paid options) or one of the free options mentioned in WIKI - Free Blender-related tools and addons

No! Itā€™s a discussion on the web, this type of draw and wait.

1 Like

OK I was wrong, in that I do not do long strokes so it did not happen for me. Seeing Bobanā€™s reply I tried again and got the same effect.

Working slower and in shorter actions seems to cope better.

Research found as FedPete says, there has been this reported as a problem. But is considered resolved in the developer threads I saw, though it clearly is not.

Redit post.
While browsing through the navigation bar (N) youā€™ll find the ā€œAdvancedā€ subsection, and in there you need to uncheck ā€œAnti-Aliasingā€.
It did the trick for me, i can now paint hi res with the biggest brush and it doesnā€™t lag anymore, so i thought i would share this here in hope it could help others.

More about it here with some supposed help/solutions. I tried some and they made little quantifiable difference.
https://developer.blender.org/T58465
Resolved :roll_eyes:
https://developer.blender.org/T51133

So I guess it is just a matter of working slower and smaller rather than fast and over big areas.

1 Like

Inspired by this topic - I checked how quixel mixer works today. It works way better than Blender. But itā€™s a learning curve. And it is not free as in ā€˜freedomā€™ (like Blender), but at least it costs no money (requires for example epic login). Big things that are in favor of mixer:

• layers support
  • smart material library
  • no lag or issues while painting
  • brushes and library of different brushes

For ā€˜fullā€™ professional workflow you might check this video:

This one might help with painting tools: Mixer Fundamentals: Painting - YouTube

Itā€™ s not a substance painter yet (i.e., no baking support), but if I would be starting with painting now - I wouldnā€™t spent money on substance and use mixer (should be good enough for most things).

2 Likes

Hi NP5, thanks so much for the feedback, appreciate it. At least now I know where to start investigating on my side.

3 Likes

Hi bOBaN, thanks so much for the feedback, appreciate it.

2 Likes

Hi NP5, thank you for sharing this. I love this community, people are friendly and ready to help each other. Thanks again.

3 Likes

Hi bOBaN, thanks so much. I will give it a try. I might change my workflow from painting in Blender to Mixer, then just bake in Blender.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms