Blender Collab: Week 37 “Yellow”

So the leaf textures are from your photos?

15 Likes

Poll!
There’s only one rule: don’t vote for yourself!

Aside from that rule, you can choose the parameter to judge the entries, some possibilities:

• best embodies the theme
  • most colorful
  • funny
  • technically advanced
  • realistic

The poll ends on 2020-10-20T10:00:00Z

0 voters

2 Likes

Thanks, Digitz. I know nothing about the edibility, just a seasonal target for my camera while out for walks. I did look them up and they say you have to eat them fast, and probably picked before that bottom separates from the stem. Leave them overnight to eat, and they are a black inky mush by morning.
There are ‘ordinary’ looking small yellow ones, and some interesting small bright orange ones I have photos of, but these Inkcaps are very good to look at not the ‘standard’ shape. My model/render does them no justice. Fascinating how short lived they are, go back the next day and they are blown, flipped upwards, and dripping ink.
Leaves I plumped for alt D copies, make a patch of each, select random and rotate a few times in different directions, duplicate patch and rotate that too on just the ground plane. Repeat for several different leaves. Took lots of time making the leaf alphas. I might well with more time have let the particle system sort it out, but went with a more certain simple route, only having to cover what was in shot!

@Tyger2
Yes the whole thing is my own photos based. For the leaves, I had a plastic plain colour bag with me while out walking, and laid out half a dozen of various types as I came across them on it. This made it slightly easier to isolate them from the background then making it alpha. The grass is also a photo of the grass which that fungi was growing in, a mown area full of other ‘stuff’ leafy. Like the fungi texture, I ran it through Materialise to create normal maps, though for some reason none of that shows up very well, and there was no time to fiddle with it all.
Eventually… I hope to make a proper model with geometry for all the ‘shagginess’. Ay least I am set up for reference! No idea how to achieve it, it is both sort of hairy but not. Where it might seem most hair like it clumps in those distinctive curls. May be best to stick to the simple dome headed plain coloured ones! lol.

5 Likes

What a poetic description!

Inkcaps really are short lived, there is a small timespan to harvest and consume, that’s for sure. I forage a lot, so I know a lot about what is and isn’t edible in the forest and what has benefits in other ways too.

For real leaves, I just put the image into blender as a plane, then collapse a different plane to a single vertex. Extrude around the shape of the leaf and fill the geometry. I don’t have to worry about alpha because I project to view and scale the UV to fit the leaf image texture. I use that for plant stems too, but I extract a cylinder instead of a single vertex. Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

Well, I finally came up with an idea for this week… too bad it’s too late :smiley:

12 Likes

The song just started playing out in my head :notes: we all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine… :notes::joy:

4 Likes

Amazing work as always guys!

wait thats not real??? XDDD

1 Like

So the poll finished, this week winner is Digitz :clap: :clap: :clap: with a maple pecan latte. Congratulations, Digitz, the next week is yours! Choose the theme, please!

6 Likes

YAY! This is the first time I’ve ever really won anything. Thank you all for the votes. I love these things and seeing other peoples perspectives on the subject.

I’ve chosen “Celtic” as the new subject and created the new topic here:
Blender Collab: Week 38 “Celtic”

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with this time.

6 Likes

Please, somebody, add a new picture to the Hall of fame here: The Blender Collaboration 2020 edition. - I can’t make the forth post in a row, it is not possible…

1 Like

Privacy & Terms