Be the first to post for 'Simulating Air Resistance'!

uem_s04_simulating_air_resistance

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

The Coefficient of air resistance is not unitless, it is in the units of kg/m because the speed squared is in m^2/s^2 and when multiplied by kg/m you get (kg m)/s^2 which is Newtons. That is in fact what the coefficient does, it converts from speed squared to newtons while applying a coefficient of proportionality.

Oh no! Getting called out on my physics knowledge (which is a bit rusty).

Do you remember where I say this in the video so that I can correct it?

Sam,

To start let me say AWESOME tutorial :slight_smile: I am having a blast with it, and
learning a TON, great job. The mistake in question is on section 4,
lecture 74, 8:36 into the lecture when you are talking about the formula
for air resistance.

Best Wishes,

Bill

Cool, it should be uploading now.

Hey, I finished the tutorial series. Great job Sam, really enjoyed all of it and it is helping me in my product that I am working on. But, I always got confused on this part when talking about the drag coefficient unit.

According to wikipedia, the coefficient of air resistance is indeed dimensionless or unit-less. The Drag Force is what is (kg*m)/s^2, or equivalently “Newtons.”

I think this confusion that Bill had stemmed from the original formula, as we discussed it. It should be like this:

which includes DragArea.

So, to fix this in the code we would have the following:

//DragCoefficient is indeed unitless! 0.3f - 0.5f is generally good to use. 0.3f - Tanks, 0.5f - Automobiles
	UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere)
		float DragCoefficient = 0.5f;
	//The DragArea that is (cm^2). Higher means more drag
	UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere)
		float DragArea = 20000.f;

Which, then we would multiply in our GetAirResistance() function.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Yes, I think I was making it less physical in the course to simplify the equation to F is proportional to v^2 with C being the constant between them which would include rho, 1/2 and A