Be the first to post for 'Resolving Movement Bugs'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

1 Like

1st time I have ever done a screen recording (yes, I am far behind the times LOL). This was done on a Mac with built in QuickTime. It would’t just upload so had to zip the file to share.

If there is an easier and better way do to screen records for a Mac, please let me know.

1st Attempt @ Screen Recording.mov.zip (2.5 MB)

2 Likes

now thats a sweet little ship you have there Morgaine for her maiden voyage :slight_smile:
Good to see some of your blender work coming through too :wink:

heres my rough n ready flight test.

7 Likes

Very nice flying! I see you been working on your obstacles.

Actually, my ship is all made with Unity primitives. Sadly, I have forgotten what all the parameters (i.e. size, amount of verts, orientation, etc.) necessary for Blender to Unity. You know the old saying “Use it or lose it”, I have lost it. LOL And, even sadder, I didn’t write down the information at the time either. I need to sort it all out since this would have been something really fun and simple to create in Blender.

I dread trying to figure out where the Unity info bites are in the Blender Course. Is the bad thing about the courses is trying to remember what info is in what video. It would be nice if a specific video was created about Blender/Unity specifics…tips and tricks for good asset creation and success use in Unity. Would be a good bonus video for both courses.

Thanks for the compliment! I will have to spend sometime trying to figure out this screen recording stuff at some point. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good inspiration for the obstacles!

I’ve changed the controls A and D to left/right arrow. Easier for me to combine with space.
Change in code is (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.LeftArrow) and Input.GetKey(KeyCode.RightArrow)

Tip for recording is the screen recording function in Powerpoint (insert tab -> screen rec.)

My attempt (not entirely sure about the drag value yet)

7 Likes

Nice video. You ship flies well!

I don’t know if Mac’s solution to Power Point records or not. Will have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Being right-handed, I did a little unscientific research last night on percentage of right vs left handed and found varying result. Loosely speaking, about 75% (may be higher) of the world’s population is right hand dominant. So, like you Kookgek, I went ahead and changed my A and D keycodes to left and right arrows in the script…oooo…aaahhh…much better flying.

I did encounter wobbliness and rotating behavior after changing the script so ended up having to reset the RocketShip constraints in the RigidBody component in Unity. Works fine now.

I think drag is something we might have to play around with for awhile. While drag helps a lotI am hoping we will be able to constrain the X,Y rotation more at some point. My Rocket tends to rotate too far to the left and right so is constant adjustment, which is fine for some players but is annoying to me. LOL

Made my own little engine sound with the booster sound from Free-Sound and some generated sounds in audacity.

And for anyone with a new NVIDIA GPU, like 6 series and up I think, you can record video using what used to be called Shadowplay, well it is still called that on the website, but in the new GeForce Experience app video recording is found under the In-Game Overlay functionality.

Download the GeForce Experience, hit the little sharing looking icon at the top labeled in game overlay to either click a button start recording, or set a keybind to do it.

4 Likes

Here’s my first flight test.
I’m going more for a “Solar Jetman” vibe that “Thrust”, so my camera follows the ship around and I’ve set up a little obstacle course.

5 Likes

Hey Gang,

So I wasn’t completely satisfied with the way the freezeRotation worked. To me it seems like it removes TO much of the angular momentum so I tried a slightly different method using AddRelativeTorque and then damping the standard forward vector using angularDrag. I still might tweak it a bit more but I’m pretty happy it feels much more dangerous again. :slight_smile: Hope you enjoy the footage.

Jenn

3 Likes

Here’s my version.

I made a few modifications to the original code. First, I moved the thrust to the FixedUpdate() (apparently that’s where physics live ?). Also I made sure that the rotation was done with a Torque rather than directly modifying the transform. Not sure if that can really cause issues but this was recommended elsewhere. To prevent the rocket from spinning aimlessly I’ve added a stabilisation thrust (reverse thrust to the angular velocity). Maybe I could have used the angular drag ? Though I was not sure if I wanted to have the stabilizer all the time or only when not pushing the thrusters.

private void RotateRigidbody()
{
    if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.A)) // Rotate left
    {
        rigidBody.AddRelativeTorque(Vector3.forward * rcsThrust);
    }
    else if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.D)) // Rotate right
    {
        rigidBody.AddRelativeTorque(-Vector3.forward * rcsThrust);
    }

Vector3 angularVelocity = rigidBody.angularVelocity;
    rigidBody.AddRelativeTorque(- angularVelocity * stabilisationThrust);
}

Also I’ve made sure that the thrust was a bit higher in the opposite direction of the velocity to enhance control.

private void Thrust()
{
    float forwardVelocity = Vector3.Dot(transform.TransformVector(Vector3.up), rigidBody.velocity);
    if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Space)) // Thrusting
    {
        rigidBody.AddRelativeForce(Vector3.up * forwardThrust * (1.0f + 1.0f / (1.0f + Mathf.Exp(forwardVelocity) ) ) );
        CheckSoundPlaying(true);
    }
    else
    {
        float braking = forwardVelocity * brakingThrust;
        rigidBody.AddRelativeForce(- Vector3.up * braking);
        CheckSoundPlaying(false);
    }
}

All in all the control is now very easy (too easy ?) I can adjust difficulty by reducing drag and rotational stability effect…

Capture was done with Shadowplay from Nvidia BTW.

2 Likes

@Morgaine_Christensen
try converting it to a .mp4 and uploading it. It may be the .mov that is causing problems for you…

Your ship looks great by the way!

It flies!

1 Like

Thanks, Jeepty!

Yes, the problem is/was a .mov file. It was my first attempt ever at trying to do a screen recording and was out of my depth. Figuring out I would probably need to know how to use screen recording in future, I have since done a bit of research into QuickTime and figured out a bit about editing and what I needed to do to get my files uploaded. I am looking at different software to do this for the future due to QuickTime items requiring a conversion to MP4.

I appreciate the solution to my issue.

@Morgaine_Christensen, you’re welcome!

I’m in nearly the same boat as you. I record with Kazam and convert with VLC, just on a different OS.

VLC Media Player for Mac you can search it out the cnet website also.

I have used it for years. It won’t record but it will convert. It will play nearly every file under the sun and convert them to something else as well. It is free and open source. They will try to get you to Donate but you do not need to. Its not as polished as a paid for mac program but it will get the job done. My VLC was able to play your .mov so it should work.

If you take this route just:
open VLC
Media menu > convert/save > add the file that needs conversion > click convert/save > under settings I change the type profile type to “video for youtube sd” (a reduced quality mp4) > set destination and name for file > Start

See what I mean? If it were a regular mac program it would most likely take 3 clicks instead of 10… :thinking:

Funny thing is, my Kazam saves it as an mp4 but gamedev doesn’t recognize it. I have to go through the process above to convert it to an mp4 to get it to post properly.:crazy_face: :scream_cat:

Really? VLC will convert it? I have VLC and really like it to be honest. When I tried to use it to convert the .mov didn’t’ give me a good option to do so. Glad you gave me a heads up on how to convert it next time…not to fond of having to deal with iMovie.

Thank you so very much!

1 Like

Enjoying everyones videos! Some good looking scenes already being created by some people already too! I just stuck with the lazy mans approach and did just what the lecture suggested, and nothing more. However, I am too lazy to go about actually creating and uploading a video, so I thought I would atleast check out some of yours!

Capture

I had quite different settings but this seems to work on my ship.

Awesome love it!

Launch successful!
RocketFlight

I just noticed that you can hear all of my button clicking in the background lol.

Privacy & Terms