Be the first to post for 'Design Levers And Tuning'!

Don’t be. The keywords are: “At the moment” :wink:
I started the first Unity course already, that makes things a lot easier to follow.

1 Like

I tried the first course and was so confused. I find this one clearer and easier to understand. I will get there one of these days! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Impaler

For this challenge I removed all assets excepted for the three original prefabs. With a blank slate, I started placing prefabs around the scene. Moving, scaling and rotating them till a scene started to develop. Adding some lights, star field background and set the camera to follow the rocket pulled the scene together. Adjusting the rocket’s mass, speed and the offset of the star fields brought a small touch of realism to the scene.

BrainStorm1

Original Scene

Some real exciting scenes here, keep up the good work y’all.

6 Likes

That’s real pretty @Marc_Carlyon!

For my "interesting "design lever, I’ve added gravity adjustment settings.
Each level will be set on a different planet, so it is important for my game to be able to easily tune this during the design phase of each level.

Besides, adding sideways gravity is always amusing to me for some reason! :smiley:

1 Like

Coming back to the game this morning, I’ve decided that my game needs pickup way more than a second landing pad, since it’s more about the collection of objects than flying from point A to B.
So I’ve been playing around with spring joints and have got something I’m relatively happy with. Later on in development I’ll be animating the link between the two objects but next up will be dropping them off at a set location to advance to the next level.

7 Likes

Greets Everyone!

First let me say how fantastic so many projects look here. Really impressive work. I’m still working inside the confines of Unity so limiting myself to their generic prims but so far so good. This is what I have so far. I hope you enjoy. :slight_smile:

Jenn

7 Likes

Your gravity and spring joint parameters make for a very cool effect. I’m digging it!

Thanks @Twister.

@JennBren, I love the sense of depth that you get from the background. Makes it feel like you’re not just cooped up in a box. Nice work!

Hey Gary,

I really liked your cargo pick up mechanic. That mechanic alone transforms the game into a whole new realm of possibilities. Well done. :slight_smile:

Jenn

1 Like

That’s some really good work you are shown here, right now i’m feeling a little bit overwhelmed.

Here is my attempt of tweaking the rotation a little bit (don’t like the idea of using too much drag).

I think i’ll make something like a maze, where you have to land on serverall plattforms in order to save your current progress (maybe add some fuelmechanics with weight too).

5 Likes

An update.
After having some levels, i decided that i don’t like it that way and scraped them :smile:
Doing one big level instead, That way i don’t have to worry about saving scores and such between level.

Also managed to include an (i hope) nice intro.
The folks over at the discord pointed out that the rocket-bauble needs to be brought more into the players vierw, on which i agree with (will be done in the next iteration).

Enjoy:

Into-the-face neon bauble :rofl::

edit: @ben : I am unsure if it is ok to put the gamedev.tv logo into the scene. Just yell at me angrily and i will immediately remove it!

13 Likes

You guys are doing awesome work. I’ve never been much of a designer. Here is my first effort. At this point, I’m pretty much trying to get the game mechanics down. If I’m so motivated, I’ll reskin it at the end.

7 Likes

At least it looks much better than my effort :wink:

Hey Hagyto,

What a beautiful look you have going on there. Your use of lighting including bloom adds to your levels a great deal. Keep going! :slight_smile:

Jenn

1 Like

That looks great, well done!
I haven’t a good sense for these graphical things, really impressive how creative you people get at these course projects.

@Hagyto It seems like i had a similar idea like you with these checkPoints…
I guarante you that I hadn’t intend to copy your ideas.

I thougt the GameDev.tv logo in your scene was something like a unaccessable healthpack… :joy:
I need to be more around here…

Finally i got the important functionalities of the landing pads to work.
It’s now possible to set a whished amount of checkpoints to a landing pad to enable functions like loading a new level (the name of the level needs to be set as target in the inspector) or other functionalities like fuel station or transmitter (both not implemented yet).
For activating these pads the player need to stay with both “landing gears” for a set amount of time on the platform, it won’t work if he is just landing with a side or top of the rocket.

I’m surprised that all these things are working properly, especially the script for the landing pad is looking soo messy with all these booleans and SerializeFields.

5 Likes

No worries, i would be really surprised if noone else would use a similar approach. I am eager to see how it works out for you.
Your systems seems to be more advanced than mine (strictly linear chained switches). I like it a lot!

It’s really blurred out in the background :slight_smile: . I think even Ben does not recognize it, since he did not reply to my remark :laughing:.

Hey there!

This is far from ready, and during the basic level design I realised I wanted to involve a power up that makes the player able to move some of the objects in the scene by adding a rigidbody to these objects -> a bulldozer -like effect!

I think it’s pretty fun and opens up a lot of doors for level design. What do you guys think?

3 Likes

Still early in the process, but when lighting was mentioned during the video, I knew that I wanted to have some kind of dark level, whether outdoors at night or in a cavern. Just something about having that extra challenge of not seeing everything at once appeals to me.

If I continue with this idea, I definitely want to have the camera follow the ship instead of being fixed at the moment. I am also considering adding some kind of temperature mechanic that to heighten the stakes, so to speak, maybe add some form of checkpoint along the way that acts as a heater or something.

I definitely feel like I have some work to do in advancing my skills when looking at everyone’s work, but I look forward to improving more over the course and beyond.

4 Likes

That is a great idea and looks like tremendous fun! :heart_eyes:

Privacy & Terms