Autocomplete / Intellisense has stopped working

The autocomplete / intellisense has stopped working in VSC for my ‘Project Boost’ project and doesn’t show any code hints when adding ‘AddRelativeForce’ to the ‘Rigidbody’ instance in the code -

_rb.AddRelativeForce();

I have read various fixes including changing the TargetFrameworkVersion to v4.8 in the .proj file but it didn’t fix the issue, I have searched for fixes here on GameDev, and I don’t know how to check necessary installed versions of apps and extensions.

I am using -

macOS Big Sur (11.5.1)
VSC for mac is 1.59
Microsoft C# extension is v1.23.14
Assembly-CSharp.csproj TargetFrameworkVersion is v4.7.1

I have also tried opening up Preferences, going to External Tools, unchecking everything for ‘Generate .csproj files’ and clicking ‘Regenerate Project Files’, or, re-checking all and closing out (as two different posts suggested, the second suggestion is one on this forum).

On reopening the project this afternoon Intellisense now seems to be showing code hints.

Hi @Rory_B,

Does that mean the problem is solved? :slight_smile:

See also:

There she is. ‘Can we close this question?’

Well I was really hoping to hear and learn more from this… weren’t you?

What exactly would you like to hear/know/learn? If problems solved themselves, there is no way for us to analyse them further to figure out what caused them in the first place.

Have other people experienced this?
If so is what have they done to resolve this?
Are some of the things I have done resolutions for this issue?
Is there a checklist of things to try (simple to more invasive, incorporating some of the things I have tried?)

From what I read, you found at least one thread here which provided a potential solution for your problem. So yes, at least one person experienced the same problem and mentioned it here in the forum.

They clicked on “Regenerate project files” in Preferences > External Tools or did something else I suggested in their thread. See below.

If what you did solved the problem, it is a solution by definition.

What do you mean by that?

If you hadn’t tried to click on the button yourself, I would have suggested that.

And if that hadn’t fixed the problem, I would have asked you to check if all relevant extensions are installed. See the instruction on the official VS Code website.

If that hadn’t worked either, I would have asked you to check your console in VS Code whether the .NET Framework 4.7.1 is mentioned there. If it was mentioned there, I would have asked you to download the .NET Framework 4.7.1 (Developer Pack) from the official Microsoft website and install it.

Is this what you wanted to know?

Great. Thanks. Yes. That is the kind support I am looking for.

No. Without context this by no means a ‘solution’ let alone an ‘understanding’.

Why do you offer ‘support’ in a ‘support forum’ when you want to close a thread before providing an answer as you have?

Sorry to have bothered you with this question. In the future I will just try to ‘Google’ it.

I’m not some random forum spammer offering support. I’m the official teaching assistent for GameDev.tv’s Unity 2D and 3D courses. With more than 300,000 students to support, I’m usually a bit in a hurry because all students would like to get help as fast as possible. Most of them don’t want to discuss with me, they want to solve the problem and continue developing their game. I usually don’t close any new threads unless I’m sure that the problem is solved and the remaining questions are answered.

You didn’t bother me. I just didn’t see any question in your first three posts. If I don’t see any, I cannot answer any. That’s all. :slight_smile:

I know you’re not some random spammer as it says ‘Teaching Assistant’ next to your name. And I appreciate the amount of students you need to be across. But if you are the only one to respond to these questions and this is not an open forum like others I am used to then this is my misunderstanding.

Oh, I see. That makes sense.

The purpose of this forum is mainly to have a place where we are able to help our students with the content of our courses. It is not forbidden to ask questions with problems that are outside the scope of our courses but, in those cases, we teaching assistents usually cannot help.

Nevertheless, we aim to make this forum as helpful as possible. That’s why we try to keep it tidy, for example, by making sure that solutions are marked as “Solution”. This way, students will hopefully benefit from questions that were answered and problems that were solved. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms