Assault: Scene view not following Player Rig/GameObject when playing

Hi, I must have done something since when I hit play, the scene view does not track the game view when I scrub the timeline.
How do I get them to sync up again?

Thanks.

Hi,

Without any screenshots, I’m not sure if I’m imagining what you see in your game window.

First of all, make sure that the Scale slider in the game window is set to 1. If it is higher than 1, the rendered image in the game window is zoomed in.

To record the Timeline animation, click the record button in the Timeline window.

If that didn’t help, I would recommend to rewatch the video where Rick introduces the Timeline and records his animation.

And if your animation is broken for some reason, you could either edit each keyframe manually, or you could simply remove the broken animation, and make a new animation.

Hi Nina,
It’s not the keyframes. The game/play window follows the object fine. It’s the scene window.
I have uploaded a video so that you can see on my onedrive account
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgPV8NR8OMP0jIwmBPGO0bmSHNpS4g?e=ScglZ5
Thanks.

Happy New Year! :slight_smile:

The video was helpful. Thank you. I’ve just rechecked Rick’s video. As of the 0:50 mark, you can see that the view in his Scene window doesn’t follow the spaceship either.

What you could try if to select the PlayerRig game object in the Hierarchy and press Shift+F or double-F to lock the scene view camera to the selected game object. Did this work?

See also:

Hello Nina,
Thanks for responding. Yes, I noticed that - I guess I was assuming it would from the 2D lectures, and when I first started my camera was in a position that afforded a view of everything. :slight_smile: I will have to go back and redo my animation path as is not smooth. Is there a known good ratio of grid squares per second? :frowning:

Thanks.

Since the perceived speed depends on multiple factors such as the distance between the camera and the game object, the size of game objects relative to each other, and so on, I cannot recommend any default value. In Argon Assault, we do not have any references that tell the player how fast the spaceship is compared to something he knows. We have mountains, we have a spaceship, but we do not know how big the mountains or the spaceship are. From our experience, we just know that the mountains must be very high but, in the game world, the spaceship could be flown by ants. Who knows …

Test values yourself to figure out what looks and feels best in your game. Don’t worry about Rick’s values because he tested the values in his game only.

Privacy & Terms