Artist vs non-artist

I hear there are people doing 3d modeling who are not artists. I am impressed. I know my drawing has helped me in the creation of my model. But, most of the models I see here are done very well. So, I guess being an artist is not something you need to be to get good results.

2 Likes

Actually, and I’m not sure how many others would agree with me, but being able to “draw” is not the only ability of an artist. To me an artist is anyone who can produce “artwork”, and doing 3D modeling does just that.

I started in 2D graphic work, and then discovered Blender and 3D graphic work, so my strongest asset is composition . . . taking pieces of 2D graphics (backgrounds) and 3D graphics (characters and props), and combining them into a single piece of artwork. I consider myself a “moderate” artist, maybe because I can’t draw, and never took classes to get a degree in Fine Arts, but I still think of myself as an artist.

2 Likes

The problem is with the modern fad of the use of the word ‘artist’. Basically as a cover for not being a good craftsman. It lets anything go that is rubbish by calling it ‘art’.

While ‘artistry’, design, creativity, and even ‘style’ have their place and value they actually are only of any real value when added on top of a good craftsman’s ability. Of course, there are huge numbers of great craftsmen with no ‘artistry’ in them but will make you whatever you ask for.

Controlling the tools well matters most and first.
Be that a paint brush, a stone carving hammer and chisel, a Wood saw, plane, a Metal file, hammer, saw, Clay and wheel, or newer computer based tools.

‘Art’ in it’s modern usage mostly means ‘con artist’, good with a spiel of flim flam as to why their junk that took no skill, ability or work time, is clever or wonderful and please give them lots of money.

1 Like

I’ll say I’m surprised at my own work. Grant seems to explain it so I can follow it well despite lack of visual art skills.

When I was in elementary school, I hated art class, all the criticism I got. This was not the kind of teacher who thought kids should be free to express themselves. She made it clear I couldn’t draw!!!

Now, I have found, I have an idea when something looks right or not, but I don’t always know how to get there. Hence I make a robe for a character and it looks like a prom dress, or he looks older than I intended. Though sometimes if I try again, and again, and again, it eventually looks like something, not exactly my original intent, but still something that I could say “looks good”.

Incidentally, you should see my handwriting. Makes doctors look like expert calligraphers. Nearly every elementary, high school and college teacher complained. The school psychologist said I have a visual perception problem at the “encoding” level, which translates into a disconnect between what something looks like and how I move my hand to draw it.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms