Are pixologic textures and alpha free for commercial use?

Hi All,
So far we’ve been working without external resources, just wondering are we free to use the texture/alpha from Pixologic.com and texture.com which were introduced in this lectures for commercial projects? Please can anyone advise. Thank you. I’ve quickly read through, pixologic seems not free for commercial project? Please see below or I’ve misunderstood. What is internal use? I really not good at those ambiguous laws and terms.

1 Like

I am not qualified to answer this. These various permissions are a minefield of complexity and difficulty. Especially if used for commercial uses. I get the impression most do not mind or care if it is for hobby use or playing. Course use I suspect is covered as ‘educational’ not commercial. That does not mean that they may well be completely free to use, I am just glad I have no delusions of ever getting paid for my creations! lol.

Textures for 3D, graphic design and Photoshop! has the terms of use for Textures.com.

My understanding is you can’t distribute the textures directly, but you can use them in models that are then distributed, including commercially. You just can’t sell them as a “texture pack” for example. 6.2 says you have to add text crediting the site. It also says, don’t distribute as substance files. It also says that if used on models that are distributed, should use “modified” textures. e.g. by baking them to a uv-mapped object rather than using them straight. Used in games/scenes where the texture files are not readily available, no modification is needed.

Now the Maxon tools that you quoted, it sounds like you can’t distribute it to me.

Disclaimer: I am a mathematician, not a lawyer. I can read and speak things not understandable by humans, but different things than a lawyer does.

1 Like

Yes I understand it like that too. You can use a ‘free’ texture to bake a new material image file from. In effect creating a unusable texture other than for the item you created. You can’t in most cases, it is all so complex with all the various ‘licences’, just provide the original texture you downloaded as part of something you sell.

Frankly it is easier to learn to make your own textures than get involved in the whole legal affair!

Although I am not a lawyer by any stretch of the imagination, I believe I slightly understand the legal mumbo-jumbo.

According to Maxon, you can use the Site only for “Internal use”, likely meaning anything personal as long as it isn’t shared.

According to the Textures.com Terms of Use, section 6.1:

Content downloaded may be used for personal and commercial use (provided the use is in compliance with these terms and conditions).

As long as you only use it how 6.2 allows, and don’t do anything that 6.3 says not to, you should be fine.

Thanks for replying, you will someday have your work being paid when you are more confident with it. But I mean I’m use this pixologic alpha to create a create and I would like to use this creature in my personal game project which hopefully becomes commercial profitable someday. Well seems like a long shot but I’d better to start off right I guess.

Thanks for replying, I’m use this pixologic alpha to create a create and I would like to use this creature in my personal game project which hopefully became commercial profitable someday. Well seems like a long shot but I’d better to start off right I guess. I guess it’s tricky to understand pixologic’s resources but it’s definitely OK in terms of the resources from Textures.com for my purpose.

Thanks you. I guess it’s tricky to understand the terms for pixologic’s resources but it’s definitely OK in terms of the resources from Textures.com for my purpose of use in game engine.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms