Anyone able to add zooming to the Dialogue Editor?

I would love nothing more than the Dialogue Editor to behave like the Animator editor window. I catch myself instinctively mousewheeling to try to get a better view of my nodes while editing them. I’ve poked around forums and I have seen some people implement this for their editor windows but it also apparently makes things behave very oddly so I haven’t tried to splice it in yet. Curious if anyone has had any luck for our specific implementation here. If anyone would know, it is surely Brian :joy:

1 Like

Now listen close, and mark the calendar, because I don’t say this often… I haven’t figured that out yet.
Unfortunately, Unity has made all the neat methods they use in classes like the Animator to allow good clean zooming internal, and inaccessible to us normal peasants. My attempts to tackle the problem have been absolute disasters.

3 Likes

I think I woke my wife up from the laughing that this generated.

It’s good to know that you are only human, I suppose? But it destroys the illusion a bit.

Yeah, what little research I have done it looks complicated and messy. And it messes with scale so it is faking zooming really. Which causes all kinds of glitches with the rects. While searching I also see that the Animator window used to not even have zoom functionality and people had like… petitions going to beg Unity to add it. So maybe in a future release we will get some access to that stuff.

1 Like

One can only hope. Please don’t let anybody else know I’m human. They’ll kick me out of the Vulcan Science Academy.

4 Likes

Hey just an update. That nice Unity Humble Bundle I mentioned… It came with Dialogue System for Unity. Their node editor has a zoom function that works really really well. So it’s possible apparently. It also prompted me to pick up that same dev’s Quest Manager system. So I will be combing the source to see how they’ve managed to do zooming. Sadly, this also means I’ll probably just used their systems for my projects(If it is good enough for Disco Elysium, it’s good enough for me). However, making these systems along with Sam has been an invaluable experience either way.

Edit: And fwiw, the quest/dialogue system probably would be sufficient for my needs. Especially since we have started adding the predicates. I may still use a modified version since they are so simple, easy to implement, and I have intimate knowledge of them. (A quick peek at these fancy ones from the asset store… a bit daunting all the options to configure… but it also does a lot for you).

1 Like

If you’re up for it, you could look into the new UI stuff. It comes with an experimental GraphView that includes everything you need. TheKiwiCoder on youtube built a Behaviour Tree editor using it

This GraphView is the same one that Shader Graph uses

I started porting the RPG course’s dialog system to this, but I can’t find the code now

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to add some kind of Zooming functionality to my dialogue editor and I’m stumped at where to start… Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!
PS - if anyone wants to help me out with this, let me know!
PPS - If this has already been asked/answered before, please link me :slight_smile:

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice about improving the quality of the video’s I post here. I want to get really good videos up here asap, but I don’t know what steps to take, and I’m not sure how much effort they actually require. Thanks!

Hello!
In my first episode, I’m going to talk about my experience learning how to play guitar over YouTube and my general thoughts about the platform.
My name is Ryan, and I’m a musician from Sydney Australia who decided to make his own music channel after hearing of the success of other YouTubers.
I hope you enjoy watching this series, and I’ll catch you in the second episode!

Hi Guys,

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms