About 'Volumetric Basics'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Create A Domain
  2. Open the Shader Editor
  3. tweak the settings to get the desired result.

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Add a simple fog to our scene to create atmosphere

(Unique Video Reference: 24_GS_BEC)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

Heh this came up in the Q&A the other day in how to make a light cone for the animated lamp on the blender course.
Had a bit of advanced knowledge on this one too from my own prior work :slight_smile:
Really enjoyed this lecture although i found repositoning my lights helped a bit and hiding the cube on and off so i could check boundarys without blocking the scene

Edit :- (I think i did the challenge again already didnt I?)

Future Edit :- Yep i did lol

7 Likes

Shader seemed a little buggy for me. I had to try it 3 times.

9 Likes

Might be a version difference as i am using alpha 2 and i think Mikey is on an earlier alpha version.

I think you are right. At least it wasn’t a huge loss. Backup is the key especially in 2.8 until it becomes more stable.

1 Like

I update ever day :wink:

2 Likes

10 Likes

Incredible renders above! The fog sure does add a lot of realism and atmosphere to the image.
Here is my attempt, in Eevee. Cycles coming later, once it is rendered. I found that the rendered image differs quite a lot between Eevee and Cycles - you have to fiddle with the fog and lightning when changing the renderer.

Finally, the Cycles one too. A bit grainy and dark, but more realism, I gather:

Additional Cycles render - with denoising, and also adding some red lights. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I finally got some useful information on fog and how to do it using Volumetrics! This is certainly useful. I thought the lecture was clear and easy to follow. Thank you.

5 Likes

Went for a much denser fog. Made my bridge look really, really erie.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Tweaking the values in shader properties is a little hard - it seems that the values of density and anisotropy that look good in this case is a very small subset of the values that you can choose. Why is that?

3 Likes

This ain’t working for me, even with the files Michael is using. (dl’ed them from repo).

I hope it’s a bug in the current release of 2.8 >>

Thank Eevee for fast render times! I wouldn’t have done 480 frames at 1080p in cycles!

2 Likes

Volumetric%20Test%204

Fog makes everything 10x spookier

6 Likes

blend

And Cycles

%20cycles

3 Likes

Hi, everyone! This is my first post on the community! Let me know what you think about my version of the bridge. Im enjoying and learning a lot with this course

4 Likes

2 Likes

Good day gents

This is what i got out of Eevee

It looks nice if you ask me, but when I tried Cycles …

It looks horrible … The settings are absolutely the same just the render engine is switched. Can someone tel me how to remove that red poop :confused:

Have a great day
Bob

1 Like

Ooo how interesting! No idea why it is red! any red light or environment lighting?

Privacy & Terms