About 'Text101 Game Design'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Overview of our game design, core mechanic and theme
  2. Some high level design insight on how we are creating a game for other people
  3. A challenge to flex your designer muscles and come up with your own game theme

After watching (learning outcomes)… Clear on the design for our game.

(Unique Video Reference: 2_TX_CUD)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

1 Like

Hello Rick!
I found the best thing in this lecture, is the list of questions, like how is the player, why he is not in his plane or why he is in this city. I really didn’t think about that in the past, just coding, for fun, nothing else.
And the other best thing i found, that you are not going to make a huge game from the start, that you use the from lower to highter technique to create this course, thats great!

Thanks for the great feedback!

1 Like

I also agree with this!

I feel that you guys are getting us to think more about what kind of story to make and who it’s for. That’s an important aspect often overlooked, and in doing so it creates good practice and fun all at once.

2 Likes

I think I figured out a compelling start to my game

Theme: An Awakening. From a deadly sickness of some kind. Will have paths to choose from. Good and Evil

Pic that Represents my Theme: spiritual-21

Player: The user will choose their preferred name. If not the default name will be Ergo Mason. The user will also choose what life they have led up to the point of the start of the game - A life of wrongdoing or a life of goodness and harmony. The player will start off on their final breath but then will run into a “twist”

Goal: Your goal is to follow the path you choose and get to the final moments of said path. It is your choice of what you want to do when you get to the end of the path you choose

@Kingdomseed

4 Likes

Love it! Can’t wait to play! You can see what I did here: https://idcaptain.itch.io/the-lone-hobo

Have a look for inspiration and some of the possibilities. @coolkilla56

Game Theme: Fantasy (Dnd 5e specifically)

Image Summary:

Player Character: Volen Gell (a half orc sorcerer)

Goal: Find a gold dragon to get it’s blood to become the head of her house

1 Like

Game Theme: Modern Day Room Escape with Self Discovery

Image Summary:

Player: The player is a young woman with amnesia. Her back story is a mystery to be discovered.

Goal: Our player awakens tied to a chair in a dank dark room. Her head hurts and she has no idea where she is or how she got into this dire situation. The goal is to escape this place while also discovering who she is and why she is there.

1 Like

Theme: A post apocalyptic world
Image Summary:

Player: A man who wakes on an asylum and do not know who he are
Goal: Stay alive and discover what happened to him and to the humanity.

1 Like

Hey there, Rick. I, as an aspiring game developer, absolutely loved this session.
The Challenge at the end really got me thinking about the game I wanna make. So, here’s what I have so far.

Theme
The game is set in a futuristic dystopia kind of world. Each and every human has some or another form of cybernetic enhancement. Sounds pretty dope, right? But not exactly. The citizens get a chip implanted in their brains when they are “upgraded.” This chip basically makes them subservient to the government.

Who is the player?
The player was once a regular citizen who somehow got their chip broken. They are going to start out confused and dazed. But as the game progresses, they will uncover hidden secrets and choose their own path.

What is the Goal?
To overthrow the government.

2 Likes

THEME
A large kingdom corrupted by the consumption a Giant GOD who have fallen from the skies. Consuming the blood of a GOD is dangerous. The Ichor , fluid that flows like blood in the veins of the gods, is a very powerful substance. It corrupts and changes the characteristics of anything that consumes it, turning them feral , and can infect others. People believed consuming god blood would grant them great power, but they were met with an undying fate. Including the wildlife around who feasted upon the Giant GOD. Over time the entire Kingdom was overrun by this plague, and by the decision of the GODS they Sealed away the entire Kingdom from the rest of the world…Until many years later when gods yielded to exist the seal was broken…

WHO IS THE PLAYER
A Hero of his Own Kingdom

WHAT IS THE GOAL
Repairing The Seals

2 Likes

Just finishing off the game design challenge :slight_smile:

Title: License to Wound

Theme: Satirical Spy game

Images that Evokes the Theme:
spy1Spy2

Who is the player?: Newbie Spy 006.5

What is the goal: To thwart the villain’s plan to mildly inconvenience the world

1 Like

The link led me to this post instead of an area to make a new topic.

My game theme (taken from my nieces) is that your cat has been stolen while you were away. You are desperately searching for the cat so you can return it home. The player is obviously the cat’s owner and the goal is to find the cat and then both of you return home.

2 Likes

Hi!
Theme
Vampire world. That theme is inspired by the game Vampire. The masquerade: Bloodlines. For those who didn’t know this game I suggest to play this game to understand amazing atmosphere of the World of Darkness.
What is a goal?
The goal is to escape from canalization from the vampire hunters trap.
Who is the player?
The player is a vampire from the Nosferatu clan. He is a hacker who just stole from the police database video record. In the video record is the evidence of killing the innocent by the rebel vampire.
Image:

1 Like

Hello!
I think this may be a story I want to expand on, but I found this to be a good example of what i’m picturing

Theme:
Apocalyptic
Image:

Player:
Survivor, David Osborne
Goal:
Escape a large office building, while chased by a band of lunatics, and return home safely

1 Like

My game will be slightly different, the player will have to choose the correct answers to random trivia questions. It might keep some choose your own adventure elements though.
Theme: Mystery(slightly satirical)
Player: Sherlock Hearts, a cocky heart detective who solve mysteries with his sidekick Dr. Swithin
Goal: Find the thief
The final part of the game will have the player guess which suspect is the thief.

I found this on the internet, It shows the vibe I want pretty well:
CITY_GIF-3%20(dragged)
Its actually gonna be pretty stupid.

1 Like

Theme : Pirates. maybe a little bit stolen from the Anime : One piece but that doesnt matter.

Pic for my theme afbeelding

Player: you can choose youre own name and decide if you want to be a Pirate or a Marine.

Goal: As a pirate you start alone and youre goal is to gatter a the ultimate crew and rule over the sea. every place you go has an enemy and Marines hunting you. As a marine you work as hard as you want to become the highest rank in the navy and of course you need to try and catch Pirates who are trying to become the ruler of the sea.

Theme: Just kill them all.
Player: The user will choose their preferred name. Default will be Normal Human.
One day you just get so tired. So you take your machete and start kill everybody who you don’t like.
Pic:PROD-Woman-frowning
and 07082016bloody-machete
Goal: Goal is to follow ‘Normal life’ and than in the break point start your revenge.
“PS:Nobody care about what you done(Like when anybody see when you are killing people everywhere and he or she like just drink his or her coffee, like that happend everyday so it’s completely normal), unless you are killing them so cops and other stuff won’t stop your revenge”
To the end when you just excuse last standing enemy - your crush(And have happy life together ) or kill that animal, forget everything and like in Groundhog Day start it all over again.

Theme - A Perry side story from Phineas and Ferb

Player - The player is Perry the Platypus

Goal - The goal is for Perry to stop Dr. Doofenshmirtz’s evil plan

Real simple idea: Child gets lost in an amusement park. The goal: Reunite with your family. The enemies: (Not enemies is the true sense of the word) you, your thoughts, and anyone you believe to be dangerous. The point: We live in a world full of mistrust and mischief and it can be frightening but that doesn’t mean we should cave in and deny others out of fear (well that’s up to the player really)

Privacy & Terms