About SDK of DirectX with W10

I seen on some comment that people said is impossible to find the SDK to download, but actually following the instructions Sam gave us he point to the link inside SteamWorks that take us exactly on the Microsoft website where you can download the older SDK.
DirectXSDK
And remember to uninstall all previous Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86/x64 Redistributable and always launch installation process as Administrator

3 Likes

It’s actually possible to build without the DirectX SDK - the version needed is over 10 years old now.
See the attached image

1 Like

can you show what does your “VC++ Directories” section has for the include directories and library directories?

Following your steps allowed me to get past the issue where it can’t find DirectX9 but now I’m having the issue about “This version of XAudio2 is available only in Windows 8 or later.”

Mine looks like this:

Actually, I followed your steps from a udemy question about adding the XAudio2 nuget package and was able to finally build on Release Win32 config successfully. However, when I try to build in Debug Win32 config I get an error message saying:

Error LNK1104 cannot open file 'd3dx9.lib'

which is weird since it’s trying to open the regular lib file instead of the debug lib file which has a “d” at the end of it’s name (d3dx9d.lib)

I added d3dx9d.lib to the Debug Win32 Linker>Input>additinal dependencies section but maybe I need to do something else to tell it to use the debug lib instead of the regular lib when building with the Debug config?

I had issues with the debug build too. The workaround here was to add the path to the non debug lib file. This solved it.

Thanks, could you tell me how do you add the path to the non-debug lib using one of the “$” variables or using a path that is relative to the solution’s folder? I only know how to do the full path from C:\

Actually, I just figured out one possible relative path:
$(ProjectDir)packages\Microsoft.DXSDK.D3DX.9.29.952.8\build\native\release\lib\x86

but still wondering if you know of a better/shorter path, just out of curiosity since I haven’t learned much about these VS paths yet.

A variable to the path of the DXSDK package would be nice for example so you dont have to worry about mentioning a specific D3DX version in the path.

1 Like

That works, or also $(solutiondir) as well. It’s good to know this if you have multiple projects in a solution and you need to refer to items relevant to the solution.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms