About 'Render Time Displacement (Cycles)'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Use an experimental feature of Blender Cycles
  2. Understand it only works in Cycles
  3. Currently you CANNOT export this

After watching (learning outcomes)…

You will be able to use Cycles' render time displacement.

(Unique Video Reference: 23_PW_BEC)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

This was really interesting. I still am not comfortable with how the colors are put on the ground layer of the scene but with practice it will get easier. My mountains don’t look quite as rough and realistic in their texture as your textures turned out but I am sure with tweaking values, could find something better than what I have here.

Mountain Scene:

7 Likes

It’s too steep to be real, but I liked the look.

5 Likes

:grin: Just rotated the contraption you made before the landscape. It looks kind of cool

3 Likes

Islands Memories

5 Likes

Mountains look a bit the same. Started spending too long on this. !

8 Likes

Love the colours on this!

4 Likes

Went the animation route, because this is just so cool. Feedback welcome as always!

7 Likes

That’s awesome! Worth the animation time!

1 Like

9 Likes

9 Likes

Alter doing this challenge by my self, I must say, this is an amazing piece of work.

Here it is …
What a difficult challenge this was and still is (for me). My computer was so slow at the end. Every math node to tweak some property, made it slower and slower. So the process of tweaking some property and to see a change somewhere , is a time consuming process. So this is it !

2 Likes

Hi FedPete, I’m also struggling with this. I am on a Blender version that I downloaded in February. Do you think that it might be a problem?
Regards
Rina

Crashes should not happen!
But working with this dynamic displacement, is a very CPU and memory consuming process. Based on exponential growth.
July 11th, there was a new release. Download and put it in a different folder and try the new version out.

But I think, it’s more about the hardware, CPU and Graphics card. I had also a lot of problems with the rabbit challenge (hair particles). And the bridge fog challenge.

I am thinking in buying new hardware … or keep the system and focus on hard surface modeling. Low meshes. But when I’m working with shader nodes, it’s also a slow process on my machine.
And I find this also a bit funny, because it seems I never have enough speed or memory in all my years of working on graphical stuff with computers.
40 Years ago a had a small 3D program, written in Basic language. It could only draw wireframes (lines). You could see every pixel drawn from those lines. Pixel by pixel, many hours to draw something like 12 lines of a cube. In a resolution of 160x100 pixels. But I had the same fun as I have now with Blender :wink:

Happy rendering.

1 Like

Should definitely upgrade to the latest release :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply - System info:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 / i5-4460 CPU / 16 GB RAM
This hobby is getting very expensive, but I am addicted - for the first time in my life I am “creative”. Even the artist in my family cannot believe what I am capable of. I was a bit scared to download the newer versions, because the newer ones that I downloaded crashed more then the one I got in February, so I went back to it. Is it stable now?
My fog came out just fine. :blush:

1 Like

Thank you, I will try it.

It was all about that choice in Settings - Displacement & Bump.

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms