About 'NWUI Instructor Hangout #1'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. We discuss namespaces in more detail.

After watching (learning outcomes)… A hangout where Ben and Rick talk about namespaces.

(Unique Video Reference: 12_UI_CUD)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

5 Likes

Thanks for adding in the Instructor Hangout, I think it is a nice way of wrapping up the session. It helped me better grasp some of the concepts I was struggling to fully understand.

As for the challenges: I personally found NWUI challenges to be quite difficult. I personally liked wracking my brain over a solution, but I admit that I couldn’t get it on my own, even with the hints. I think the challenge difficulty really ramped up from the previous sessions, which I’m glad to see.

I don’t want to see the challenges get easier on my behalf. I like the difficulty they are at currently even if I can’t solve them on my own. It starts to take away the hand-holding that I’ve come to rely on and really forces me to problem solve on my own. So I’m personally happy with the current challenges used in NWUI.

In fact, I’d like to see the challenges taken a step further, and have ones that we aren’t given the solution to, that isn’t directly tied to the final result of our game. As an example, an optional challenge would have been for us to create a way to count the number of guesses it took our code before success, and then display it somewhere in our UI. It doesn’t stop us from having a functioning game if we decide to skip it, but it would encourage someone like me to delve even deeper into solving problems. I’d probably look into familiarizing myself more with the Unity Scripting site, and get more involved in the community to seek out suggestions on how to solve it.

One thing that I plan on doing is to simply go back and start from scratch and see if I can get a working NWUI without using your lecture videos. It sounds simple, but I know for me personally, I’ll struggle to remember how to do it.

But in all honesty, I’m really enjoying the course so far and this is just me being nitpicky. I can’t wait to get started on Block Breaker and I’ve learned tremendously, and am grateful that these courses exist!

11 Likes

Thanks for the very awesome feedback!

4 Likes

The hangouts are a great idea and very informative. I appreciate the discussions & questions which help review the lessons / module.
Eugene

4 Likes

I’ve found the challenges so far are on target with the lessons. As I’ve been working through the lessons, and tried to figure some things out on my own, and when I get stuck I find the next lesson covers what I tried to resolve on my own, and the challenge is usual covering the topic.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

The challenges are awesome. I keep working through the challenges until I get stuck. After that I just continue watching the video, to find that my code is relatively close. Thank you for such an amazing course!!!

4 Likes

In my opinion challenges are okay. Sometimes they are too easy but I haven’t encountered a difficult one yet. Also I have some knowledge with C# and Unity before taking this course.

And i really like these hangouts. Plus I am a computer teacher in a school so I am really learning from you guys new ways of teaching.

4 Likes

I think the challenges are great! Without them, I would probably just copy what you do and not really think things over.
I like the way that you first give us a task, then pause a bit and then give some hints. By doing that, you can select how hard of a challenge you want.

2 Likes

Thank you for producing a great class like this. I am learning to use Unity and having fun at the same time thanks to both of you. :smile:

Your class is proving to be well worth the money.

1 Like

I really like the challenges. It helps me understand the difference of how I do it, which isn’t always the most efficient way, and how it should be done. It also helps me appreciate how much I had learned so far when I get them right on the money.

1 Like

I like the challenges but find myself thinking about them and second guessing myself, so i’ll do them along with Rick so i don’t have to redo any big chunks of code (probably just me being paranoid/lacking confidence) most of the time the idea that i have in my head is right though. So I have say that so far the course probably is probably taking things a bit slow for me personally (I clearly have to work on my confidence though). That being said I always picked things up quickly in school and I understand that there will be people who are struggling and not finding it as easy to understand as I am.

As somebody who came into this with zero prior knowledge I feel like I am progressing well by taking my time and not rushing the course and I appreciate every little success that I have, but I also realise that I am long way from where i want to be and while the games that we are currently making aren’t to my taste I can’t think of a better way to do it. There is no way that I could learn any of what I have so far on my own

Overall great job so far.

2 Likes

The challenges have been pretty awesome so far as has been the course, very good teaching structure, i was able to randomize the min and max values on my own from what i learned so every time you start the game there are new numbers to guess between

1 Like

Hey!

Regarding the challenges; I feel the last couple of them have been “just right” (meaning i’ve been forced to think, even flubbed part of the last one hehe), earlier ones were a bit on the easy side.

Loving the hangouts as well, can’t wait to see what’s in store!

1 Like

I enjoyed how little cutting-out you did in this lecture when Ben was looking up his book and thinking about what to say!

1 Like

I like the challenges. They are challenging enough to force us to look at the Unity documentation, without being too arbitrary. They’re usually over something we’ve already covered, just a different application usually.

Hi
I find the instructor hangouts really use full it wraps up the section nicely and helps me understand a few things.
As for the challenges i have found them a bit difficult but still gave them a go and gotten pretty close just had to delete a few things or put the code in the wrong spot.

Thank you loving the course so far.

Christian

2 Likes

I know a rule is to criticize ideas not people but I feel like it should maybe be addressed that Ben seemed annoyed or in a hurry?

This video would be better if Ben did not cut Rick off. Also, I already know what namespaces are since I do study computer science but to someone who is completely new to coding, they need a simpler explanation and for the explanation not to be rushed.

Considering that programming concepts haven’t been extensively covered in this course (with good reason, it’s not a programming course) I would just explain to the beginners that namespaces are just code that other people have written for us to use to make our lives easier. From there you can start talking about the benefits of segregating code and all that other good stuff. But the way it was explained was very rushed and Ben threw in a bunch of terms that haven’t been covered and might sound like gibberish to a beginner.

Just my 2 cents, still a great course and I am really enjoying it.

3 Likes

Hello,
I find the challenges to be really helpful. Some of them are quite easy yet I do not have any complaints about them as they are interesting to do and quite important for me to get some things as a habit.

I found the challenge in “Use Random.Range()” section to be the most challenging (The bonus points parts) and I really had had to think for some 10-15 minutes to solve that so I want more challanges like this one.

2 Likes

The challenges are a GREAT addition, I would even say necessary to learn anything, instead of just repeating what is going on on the screen you go out on your own and explore. However, in my experience, most of them seem just a bit too easy, it may be because there’s nothing too advance that we can do at this point in our learning journey as we’re just coming to gripes with C#.I came into the course already pretty familiar with it, so that may be why I fell this way. There was one challnge that nailed the difficulty in my opininon - the one where we had to come up with the way to solve the bug of the same number being picked multiple times, it felt great to solve it (even though I did ultimately get it wrong), so I hope that future challnges will be more like this one!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms