About 'NWUI Instructor Hangout #1'!

Hi Rick,

Thanks for this awesome hangout its always good to hear different opinions. I am wondering what was the book that Ben was looking through?

Could be really helpful as a reference book!

Cheers!

Good question. @ben can you confirm the name of the book?

still waiting @ben @Rick_Davidson . Also, I have used unity to make my game and already finished it. it was just a simple infinite runner at the time to understand the market and unity in general. Unfortunately, due to commitments and study I stopped last April. Now i am back at it again full force and but also I got bolt for visual scripting as I really like it. Now i still didn’t get to play with it as I wanna revisit all the manual scripting first aka writing code. I am just wondering, what do you advice guys? finish the whole unity 2d tutorial on Udemy first? or try and learn bolt in the middle then whatever @Rick_Davidson writes in code i make in bolt?

Btw my level in programming is above average. I have done c# before, web dev, angular, node, python, java, ts. So what do you advice guys?

Thanks for the nudge about the book @Monir_Shembesh. I’ve looked back at the video for you, even the un-edited version and scoured my bookshelf but I can’t be sure what book it is.

However, slide 5 here gives the outline we need: https://slideplayer.com/slide/12793347/

Thank you for the reply. I am just wondering, what unity book do advice for 2018? I know the basic programming patters will stay the same, but what do you advice for the best “unity 2018” programming practices. @ben

Collating a list of best practices of our own is a good idea. For the moment the best source I recommend is here:

I appreciate the hangouts. It’s a nice way to briefly revisit what was covered within the course. As far as the challenges are concerned, I think the complexity is alright. Having prior programming experience the logic is easy to code along, but increasing the complexity will probably cause true beginners to hit a brick wall.

What I do think that could be altered is the way of presenting the solution. Showing the official docs along is great. But generally speaking when helping people fix a programming problem, or when fixing a problem for myself, the number one step is often good Google skills. How to effectively structure the question to find the desired results, e.g. in the official docs. Incorporating this search strategy / thought process into the course is something that I feel will help people in the long run.

1 Like

The hangouts have been helpful so far, the one thing that really stood out in this one was the explanation of NameSpace. I WAS confused, trying to wrap my head around what they are, but the description of them as folders turned on the light bulb.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hey there! :wave:

I really enjoy the challenges – I try and get each done, but the one regarding stopping the Number Wizard from repeating a guess it had already made was a tricky one. Regards how difficult challenges should be (if you’re still interested) that one was a good difficulty level, I thought – made me think, but was doable. I enjoy anything where we’re challenged to write in code. It makes me feel like I’m learning rather than following along! :slightly_smiling_face:

On a side note, I enjoy the challenge of having to find things in the Unity Documentation website to figure out how to make something work. It makes us utilize the sources available to us so if we ever find ourselves stuck, we know where to turn to.

It’s a great course! Thoroughly enjoying it! The hangouts are really good – a nice way to wrap up what we’ve done and a way to pick up a little bit of new information.

1 Like

Personally I like the course over all very much, also that there are so many resources available to get help on problems. There was no problem I ran into yet that could not be solved within the same day. I do find the challenges hard because I have never coded before and I like to understand why we code the way we do, and I do not understand that yet so the challenges are hard for me. Sometimes I cannot solve them alone so I have to watch the next video to go along with the class and the instructor. I don’t think the challenges are too hard for the average person and I have the hope to gain understanding of C# throughout the class so I can learn how to solve my own bugs. (also I am a “by the books” kind of person and its hard for me to grasp that there are many ways to code in C# and get to the same result :D)

1 Like

This is the second time I am going through this course - My first time was back in 2017 with Unity 4 / 5.

So far, this course has done wonderfully to test my recall on the familiar material, however it feels even more refined and polished compared to my first go 'round.

To answer your question regarding challenges - they have been SPOT ON in terms of difficulty and challenge. They are just hard enough that I feel accomplished (and maybe even dance a little) when I press play and see that my solution was correct.

And I echo the sentiment of others: The instructor hangouts are a nice added touch to the courses.

The challenges have been fine so far. I find them rather easy, but I say that as someone with some (small amount) of coding experience. I do believe believe they are good for teaching beginners how to go about approaching problems and trying to brainstorm/plan possible solutions. It’s not always an easy skill to develop, so I think it’s good that you’re starting with short methods for the challenges and interspersing them into the lectures fairly often.

1 Like

I have enjoyed the challenges and think they have been mixed well. Some as been a on the easier side and some more difficult, which I found good. The easier challenges helped build more confidence towards the more harder ones throughout the lecture. Also doing them and failing was really good as it helped me understand more about how my though process was off, many times I just was over complicating things.
Really enjoying this and super exited to continue.

1 Like

Glad you’re enjoying the course, and thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Hey guys, that flangy effect on Rick’s voice means that his audio is being recorded/played from multiple sources (like directly from Rick’s video and also from Ben’s end, for example).

The challenge for you guys would be to figure out how to fix the audio routing :stuck_out_tongue: (although I’m sure you have by now)

Great course so far! The challenges have been pretty easy up to this point, but I did have a bit of programming training some years back, and I guess you guys are aiming at complete beginners with those.

The course feels very well organized, and I can feel you guys gave careful consideration on what to explain and how. Thanks Rick for being fast while taking the time to explain new concepts properly!

Thanks for taking a moment to provide some feedback. And yes, audio is a pain when we record things this way, but we’ve improved our approach nowadays.

Thanks @Rick_Davidson and @ben. This is a great course. I am learning a lot, and the challenges are awesome. Grateful :blush: . Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for the course @ben and @Rick_Davidson its amazing and i have benefitted a lot from the challenges, they really help me imprint what i have learnt onto my brain.

1 Like

The challenges are a little difficult for me, I always get stuck at some point then follow along. The quizs help a lot too.This is a really good course though!

As you were asking for a feedback, the challenges are not very perfect.
a few are very easy and in a few we just keep scratching our heads

Privacy & Terms