About 'Making A Curve 3 Dimensional'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Whilst keeping the curve as a curve object create real geometry
  2. Explore the different options

After watching (learning outcomes)…

You will be able to use your curves as real geometry

(Unique Video Reference: 6_SG_BEC)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

Created a super simple meadow :

2 Likes

I used my grass curve that I made from a grease pencil sketch and made 3 grass plants (One Fill Mode Full, one Back and one Front Fill). I wanted to see if they looked different from each other in Rendered form. This is the result:

1 Like

Had issues with the curve making lots more vertices and not sure why but the more depth made it worse. Ended up with a depth of 0.001

2 Likes

I started with curves that had an astonishing plethora of verts. To reduce the geometry, after a bit of experimentation, I used the “Decimate Curve” command (In Edit Mode: Curve --> Clean up --> Decimate Curve) to reduce it to a factor of 0.1.

I ended up with a nice clean curve I could work with to arrive at this.

8 Likes

Thanks for this good information. I have had the same idea, but didn´t find the settings. So I appreciate your comment very much. Your plant looks nice. :slight_smile: How did you make the white stripes on the leaves?

1 Like

Looks odd, but I keep on trying…

grafik

grafik

Converted in a mesh, than added a subsurf modifier, edited some loops in edite mode, alt + e and added a stripe on the leave.

grafik

2 Likes

I actually struggled with that just a bit but eventually settled on this node setup
PlantPatternNodeSetup
looking back at it I realize that I’m missing a gradient texture in the first node group but as I recall, none of the built-ins were giving me what I wanted so I’ll likely have to create the gradient and use an image texture.

2 Likes

Thanks Capricas_Kirito. The node tree looks interesting and a little bit complicated, try to understand it.

3 Likes

made the stem part of the leaves by duplicating the object and changing the settings :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I duplicated the curves (Shift-d) and let them on the same spot.
But I changed the colour and bevel start end points. So I got a flower.

2 Likes

Spent way too much time experimenting with mesh instancing to try make a lawn… could not get the rotations to randomize and gave up eventually. The particle systems gave some good results but I didn’t really know what I was doing and I froze blender a couple of times. So, just submitting the bezier plant instead.

3 Likes

Last couple of lectures have been very interesting! Love the grease pencil for organic shapes. @Capricas_Kirito excellent hint re simplifying “astonishing plethora of verts”

Inspiration for this composition was based on Louis’ work in Q&A section of this lecture.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I played a bit with displacement of the floor texture and lighting. Not sure what looks best, but I’ll stop now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looks good results.

1 Like

I really do like the wet floor version. A great example of materials and textures!

Some students worked hard on the topic “Kitchen Robots”. Can you have a peek and vote? Thank you so much.

Totally agree. Credit goes - as usual - to https://cc0textures.com/ for their really outstanding sets of textures.

In this case I used the color and roughness parts for texturing and used the displacement part to perform a “real” displacement of the floor in Blender. The texture used is https://cc0textures.com/view?id=Ground045

1 Like

Another cool lecture, I wanted to use displacement on the ground plane but it can be hard to line up the displacement modifier with the texture. Either that or I chose a weird texture to try it with lol

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms