About 'Instructor Hangout 6.1'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. We discuss the difference between caching and calculating.
  2. Why did we set up the flip sprite the way we did rather than starting with an isFacingRight bool.
  3. Ben makes a bad joke at the end of the video.

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Greater understanding of the cache versus calculate options we have.

(Unique Video Reference: 11b_TV_CUD)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

2 Likes

I enjoyed the Instructor Hangout! Off the cuff, it seems like “reference” would be more accurate than “cache” for what myRigidBody is. Wouldn’t mind more details on the speed tradeoffs in a future lesson or hangout.

1 Like

Same as Mochnant, really enjoyed the hangout!

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Unable to find CrossPlatformInput?

Even for a calculation (e.g. Mathf.Abs(myRigidBody.velocity.x) > Mathf.Epsilon), don’t you still need to go to memory to get myRigidBody.velocity.x, and maybe Mathf.Epsilon? Can it be faster to retrieve myRigidBody.velocity.x from memory than a value cached another way? I assume it has to do with which values have been looked at more recently and are more likely to be in the processor cache?

I started taking Ben’s courses long time before these Instructors Hangouts thing start. I still remember how amazed I was when they just started. Now I have to say that they got as far as mind reading! I was just wondering about the difference between caching and calculating when I played this video and got my question answered.

1 Like

It’s awesome.
I would like to watch this type of video.

Enjoyed the hangout quite a bit. I love the reference vs. calculation discussion. I would enjoy more hangouts that go over more coding concepts like this.

I love the hangout format and content. It’s nice to have some discussion on “why” in addition to the mostly “how” focus from the lectures. These really help move things from able-to-make-games to great-at-making-games.

Thank you for adding even more value to the course.

Privacy & Terms