About 'Empties And Their Uses'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Add Empties to our scene
  2. Use the Empties to Parent or objects to
  3. Use Empties to Control Texture coordinates

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Create an infinite variety of object using an empty to control your texture coordinates.

(Unique Video Reference: 12_PW_BEC)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

This is how bushes grow ^^ https://community.gamedev.tv/uploads/short-url/2VTL3IGrTeJCEewCxa5NQS8D70X.mp4 :

7 Likes

Though not as interesting as what Manu_Scheller did, here is my use of 2 displacements and empties:

1 Like

Here are my rockies

3 Likes

Made a star that morphs by animating the empties. Bloom really helped it to look better. 60 frames rendered in under 2 minutes <3 Eevee :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cycles as i forgot to adjust lighting

Eevee

3 Likes

I couldnt resist and went and played with the lighting
Cycles first then Eevee

2 Likes

Made myself another little asteroid.

4 Likes

I dont really know what I made…A messed up looking heart? Either way, a lot of potential using empties like this!

2 Likes

A piece of space here. This time all textures are procedures, so it was a good chance to exercise them. Love the Bloom effect of Eevee, have to be careful not to put it ON as a standard for all pictures :wink: Empties are hidden inside the “sun”.

Make me also think of a bacteria swimming in a substrate through a microscope with the lamp being a light reflection.

To see the effect of two displacement maps better. I used a cube where two axes (Z and Y) are under control of a displacement map. Each wood wave map controlled by an empty for scale and speed and direction.

And at the end of this simple video, blender crashed. But It gave me the idea to build a wobbly pudding. Maybe later on. :wink: Happy rendering.

6 Likes

great lesson and way to use emptys.

2 Likes

This changes everything!
I experimented with the duplicate’s scale to get variations in texture.

Added this normal map… no idea what the “Geometry Parametric” output is, but it looks cool.

4 Likes

Used 2 empties for large/med displacement control on multiple objects. Not too pleased with the cylinders shapes - but then this is enough faffing about!

Thanks @FedPete Your feedback is always appreciated. I’ve added a little more colour on this rock study (not much…).

4 Likes

I find creating a simple rock, very difficult. Even with nice textures.
But yours, are good examples. (yes, cylinder is less, but still a rock)
But I’m always struggling with stylish (cartoon like) and realism.
But that has less to do with Blender.
But more how your graphical skills develop and understanding of materials.

1 Like

Thanks @FedPete !

heart of a star

Probably not what was intended. But works :smiley:

1 Like

Blowing in the wind.

great organic texture well done.

Privacy & Terms