About 'Baking Base Colour To One Texture'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Take Multiple materials
  2. Bake their base colour properties to one texture
  3. Use that texture on our model

After watching (learning outcomes)…

You will be able to perform basic texture baking from multiple materials

(Unique Video Reference: 21_TB_BEC)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

Hi there! I think the video ends a bit abruptly, like it was cut short… just after “And now it is time for your challange…” … THE END
:wink:

I found that the colours of the baked texture looked washed out compared to the colours of the original, multimaterial object. Using images with a larger range of colours made the problem much worse; dark areas of the original image changed to shades of bright blue and bright red in the baked image. It turns out that switching from the Principled BSDF to the Diffuse BSDF improves the colour fidelity of the baked texture dramatically. I wonder if this is an artifact of the beta, or a “feature” of the product?

Baking is an really interesting topic. However, I really do not understand why we need two UV-Maps. In the challenge I used one UV Map and it worked just fine. can anyone explain the theory behind it? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cycles
BakedImageCycles
Eevee

I had a bit of fun with this one and I’m honestly not sure why I hadn’t done this before. Baking the texture itself was pretty straight forward and came out as expected. Then I realized I would need to create a normal map to go with it… yeah, that didn’t go so well, I’m thinking a nice multi-resolution modifier is going to be the way to go on that one. In the mean time, I went to my outside image editor and created a really nice height map.

B2-80_BE_Challenge_28_BakingTextures
The original is on the _____. (tfel)

After understanding what we actually (have to) do here and especially when seeing what @Michael_Bridges did when completing the challenge (using explicit UV maps as input within the shader) I got it working. Still a bit strange that an unconnected Image Texture control has to be present within each material’s shader for the actual baking to work. But well, if that’s all it takes… :wink:

The result looks pretty “bad” now (compared to this for example) since now roughness and normal maps would have to be baked as well.

I used Cycles to bake and used Evee to render the result. When I packed the UV of course lost all the careful mapping done with the help of the ColorGrid in previous exercise. Luckily, I had kept the old UV Map in Slot 1 and made the new packed UV map in slot 2. Good to know about how Unity and EU use the UV slots, and how to prepare the slots for export.

The arch on the left has the baked multi-texture, without any normal mapping etc. The right is the original multi-texture with normal mapping etc.

A little smooth for my taste but fun stuff :smiley:

One texture to bake them all.

1 Like

1 Like

Privacy & Terms