About 'Online Texture Sources'!

Not sure what is happening in my project. But I got the feeling something is inverted or wrongly scaled. I’m out of ideas. Problem arises with the displacement modifier.

So I decided to switch over to cracked ground texture. Because I understand this one.
But this one shows a strange lighting, I’m using a sun lamp, top left to right down.
But the texture lighting is very strange. The inner archway should be dark, no sun.

It’s like an extra lamp is at the bottom somewhere. Or things are inverted (I checked normals) Any clues?

Just using a stand brick texture. Also here individual stones are highlighted from below.

I don’t think the normals are inverted, I used an invert node on the normals and that seemed to raise the indents up rather than the bricks, it just looks a little odd at certain angles. Perhaps an AO map would help darken the indentations

1 Like

I encountered the same problem ‘feeling’. Couldn’t fix it.
It looks like that the plaster between the bricks is pushed outwards (causing a shadow).
I think the normal map must be inverted.

3 Likes

the render looks better in the editor then rendered :stuck_out_tongue: thats the power of evee

why is the resolution jumping back from 1080 to 720 ? at 720 all text is illegibale.

That’s likely an issue with Udemy. All videos are uploaded at 1080p

Report it to support@udemy.com if it continues.

ok thx for the quick reply

I cheated a little bit and exported the UV outline into Gimp to put the textures on the uv map. I am quite pleased how it turned out.

3 Likes

I had the exact same issue and just found out how to solve it. The boolean’d surface is a single face that subsurface division cannot handle, but it can handle triangular surfaces, as they are the simplest of all. So simply go into Edit mode, select the surface and hit Ctrl-T (or select Face > Triangulate Faces). This - luckily! - also doesn’t break UV mapping.

(on the left is the original, on the right is the triangulated one)

Here’s my version as far as the course went:

After seeing that @Richard_Rayer ran into the same issue applying a displacement map I had another look and got it working after all. I had, however, to manually “chunk up” the model a bit to avoid having to set the surface subdivision count too high. Looks like this:

(there’s probably a better - and faster - way but I don’t know it yet)

The result, however, is pretty satisfying. I stacked two subdivisions to get semi-rounded edges. The downside is that this single archway caused Blender to peak at ~22 GB of memory consumption during rendering :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

Archway with textures from www.cc0textures.com

3 Likes

It has good UV mapping! Nive alignment of the bricks!

1 Like

3 Likes

Good alignment!

1 Like

2 Likes

Loving these online texture sources, this is definitely going to accelerate my lookdev for sure! Here’s my bridge chunk with some mossy bricks courtesy of cc0textures.com. Not the most efficient UV layout ever, and the mapping’s off in a few spots here and there, but I’ll definitely do another pass when I start finaling this and getting it into engine…

2 Likes

Great achievement!
Try to use bump (normal) map too. And or shiny maps …
have fun!

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, there’s a normal and a roughness map on the shader, I just didn’t light it very well so you can’t really see any of the detail :frowning:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms