About '3 Point Lighting Setup'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Understand the components of a 3 point lighting setup
  2. Understand the role of each part of the lighting

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Understand that lighting you scene or model is critical to showing off your work.

(Unique Video Reference: 22_GS_BEC)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

I like the idea of turning off the shadow from the back light. I never thought of that. Thanks Michael.

10 Likes

Thats an older one froma water sim project

And the ongoing tower

12 Likes

The water sim looks great.

3 Likes

Here an older model i made with 3 point lighting:

15 Likes

Wooow! What a model! :smiley:

1 Like

Here is the little squiddy again. Orange key light to the left, blue fill to the right and a white rim light far off to the left. There is also a green light hovering over the icosphere to make it look like it is giving off light slightly.

And in the viewport:

7 Likes

Nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

My 3 point lighting is not as effective as some of these here but it is a big castle and nothing in particular needed highlighting. I tried to highlight the main gate and it worked but the shot is from a distance. I got silly and put in a moon in the background. It’s too big and doesn’t emit reflected sunlight but I think it looks kind of cool.

The above was done using Cycles Render. The one below was done using Eevee.

12 Likes

Actually i think my scene overloaded with lighting)

9 Likes

My obsidian pyramid from the mid section challenge with 3 point lighting:

7 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

Almost forgot to include cycles

6 Likes

8 Likes

I decided to use a model from another project I’ve been working on. First, here is how it rendered after importing it (I also had to hunt down the textures and import them).

As you can see the model just fades to nothing as it goes around the limb of the planet. The next shot is how it looks in Eevee with 3-point lighting set up…

Hmmm…
anyone know which lecture covers that problem? I’m guessing it’s somewhere in section 2…

Finally, here it is using Cycles again with the 3-point lighting

still needs a bit of work but the lighting made a big difference :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I made this model just for this lecture, to test my skills, its the ventilator in my room :muscle:

4 Likes

my 3 point lighting system

4 Likes

Can someone explain, why does my Cycles render is so pixelized compared to Eevee and how to fix it?

7 Likes

By pixelation I will assume you mean the cycles render is grainy compared to Eevee. - this is referred to as noise. That’s is a side affect of the rendering process and sample count. We will cover that later in the course starting the in animated lamp section.

You can turn on de noise or increase samples. Those are the two immediately options.

5 Likes

Privacy & Terms