A Blender tutorial for a 3D newbie like me!

I’m a complete 3D novice, I could do with a simple walkthrough, lets, say make a simple space ship or some 3D text for a headline? I learn quicker by aping what I see!

I don’t mean to downplay your suggestion, but if you search through YT you’ll find dozens of great tutorials on learning Blender. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOvawDOWqC4
I’d imagine that it would be better to ask for more advanced courses for the teachers here to cover.

Have you looked at their Blender Course? It’s targeted at complete beginners:

This is my point, I’m such a novice to it, I even got confused on this course, maybe there’s no hope for me :frowning:

I’ll give it a go, but I even got confused on the beginner’s course on Udemy, might just be me, but I’m very good in the likes of Photoshop, very few can keep up with me!

Like Torque said, there’s thousands of Blender tutorials out there. Eventually something will click.

I certainly hope so :flushed:

What are the parts you’re struggling with? I have no experience with blender itself but I use 3D studio max so if it’s working in a 3D space that’s confusing you’d need a different type of help than if it’s blender specific issues.
Can you give us a better idea of what you need help with or what you don’t understand?

Thanks for reaching out, it is with general 3D thinking like every facet of any technical art it is filled with buzzwords like splines, nurbs, etc I think I should have said I needed an overview of 3D in Blender in plain English for a numbnut like me lol :slight_smile:

The worst part of Blender (or any program) is first learning the User Interface. Once you familiarize yourself with that and maybe shortcut keys, you should be set to practice whether you fail or succeed with your task.

If you’re looking for key words that form the 3D shapes, then here are a few:
Vertices – A single floating point in the scene. (Marble)
Edges – A direct line/link between two Vertices. (Toothpick)
Faces – A connection of Edges forming a single plane. (Sheet of Paper)
Quad – A Face that is composed of 4 Edges.
Tris (Triangle) – A Face that is composed of only 3 Edges.
Ngon – A Face that is composed of 5 or more Edges.
Object – The reference to a single or multiple meshes (Single Ball, or Multiple if added in Edit Mode)
Mesh – The underlying structure of the object selected (Change in Edit Mode)

====================
Quads are the best to use to the best of your abilities because it will determine things like deformation, lighting/shading, and general ease when transforming/editing meshes.

You’ll want a low count of faces/triangles/vertices/etc when creating objects without compromising your creation. So if you want a nice looking wall, don’t make it brick by brick. Use a simple, flattened cube and add a nice texture to it.

==================

I honestly didn’t bother with any courses when starting Blender. I messed around in the program and watched various Youtube videos. After I felt comfortable enough with the program, I went from start to finish with the course for Blender to help refine my skills and knowledge.

https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Reference/Hotkeys/All

You can check that site if you haven’t found an easier to use one for hotkeys.

Hopefully any, or all, of that helps~

Cheers, that is very helpful, I guess at my ripe age of 52, I just get impatient, I’ve learnt so much software over the years, photoshop is like the air I breath, but 3D is the one I want to master but still slips out of my ears before I manage to commit it to memory! It’s like music, both my kids make it look easy, I’ve yet to learn a single chord! :anguished:

Yeah, don’t even get me started on instruments. I can bang around with drums, but learning how to actually play is a different story :smile:

The good thing about Blender is you can change a lot of its UI and hotkeys to your desire. I don’t recommend changing the hotkeys unless there are available buttons to add existing functions to them. Like setting an origin by hotkey, it is CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+C. I hated that so much when I started, but it doesn’t bother me all too much now.

The most important thing is knowing that Right-Click cancels your current actions while Left-Click confirms it. So if you grab something on accident, always Right-click to cancel it. There is, of course, CTRL+Z, but you have to be careful using it. If you made a bunch of changes in Edit Mode and use Undo in Object mode, it will undo all the changes in Edit Mode because Blender sees it as one action. If you’re still in Edit Mode, it will undo them one by one. (( SHIFT+CTRL+Z to cancel last undo ))

======================

Here is a short video to show you how to make 3D Text:

1 Like

Cheers James that video is really helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought this course. I recommend this for starting out. It’s really well put together. (Has a picture of a T-Rex as the icon)

Yeah I bought this one, I’m slowly picking it up, but 3D does not come easily to me, but if I keep at it eventually even I will manage to learn this! :slight_smile:

Sorry I didn’t reply. I don’t really use my google account for email.
Oh ok, well I’m sure you could google a guide to 3D modeling terminology.
That should help you with understanding all of the terms but a good
beginner tutorial will cover what everything is. It just takes time
unfortunately. There’s no real short cuts :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want to reply, send me an email at info@torquemod.com

1 Like

While this is late in posting, I am older than you are Glen and been trying to learn Blender for years. This is the first Blender course (I have tried many) that actually makes sense and builds upon itself nicely. Have patience with yourself and take it in small steps and before you know it, it will be old hat like Photoshop.

As you progress and get into texturing your models, your Photoshop skills will be a HUGE asset to you. You can have the best technically created model in the world but if the textures are done poorly you won’t have a very good model! :slight_smile:

Keep us up to date on your progress and don’t be afraid to ask questions or advice. We are all students here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cheers for the encouragement mate, sometimes that’s all it takes aye :slight_smile:

Cheers mate :slight_smile:

Hey Glen, thought I’d give you a shout and see how you are getting on with the course. I see you were struggling at first, hopefully you have settled into it now :smiley:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms