7.198: Slow Loris

04/06/22 Update: Loris now with eyes! See below

It has been a little bit since my last post. Some of it being due to working on this project, some of it needing to take a bit of a hiatus from all my projects. Wartales, an early access game, as been a useful diversion for this purpose.

I also drew Tony the Tiger if he were in Highschool as a gamer…

I have worked on it a little more since, but this picture is hopefully sufficient enough…
Tony got thinner later in college after joining football and specializing in Calisthenics in Kellogg’s university.

But besides those things, here is the slow loris (not lorax):

1. Hands, feet, and ears are not yet sculpted:

2. But now they are!

I will be moving on now to fur and eyes.

I was trying to figure out how to simplify the mesh without having to delve deeply into retypologizing my entire model. After lots of trial and error and poking about, I found that I could simply apply the “simplify” modifier. It left no artifacting or overlapping vertices and lines like decimate or remesh did.

Issue: I might want to rig him up to some skeletal structure so that I can position him- will that still work
well enough if I do not retypologize him? I am mainly looking at maneuvering his arms, hands, and feet a little, and maybe his head.

6 Likes

Keep up the phenomenal work! It’s always okay to take a break.

2 Likes

Yes skeleton should work it may just lag if heavy on the computing. It may be a Slow Loris! :rofl:

1 Like

I did some hair testing:

Evee:

Cycles and HairBSDF

Noodle monster (Eevee and Principle BSDP)! He is missing meat balls…

Before it was close to a few hundred thousand faces and vertices. now it is only 50 thousand faces, and less than 30 thousand verts. The computer is enjoying these much better.

It was “decimate” modifier that I used, not “simplify” which does not exist :open_mouth:

of course :unamused:

1 Like

Last one hair looks like worms! Fat ‘hairs’.
Second one is best to me, but in bad need of a good brushing.
On the reference the face seems much shorter hair, or you may get away with a texture instead?

2 Likes

I was thinking that the second one was best. The first was a non-hairBSDF, as sort of “test” pilot to help me see what I was doing while in Eevee.

The scope of these pictures were mainly hair test without too much detail, sort of like Rick’s cat. It was in my plans to separate various sections of the animal to allow for hair colour and length variety. And even now, like the hands, I have separated the face hair from the body hair. I have also created a strip down the back that will act as its own colour of hair.

Originally I was purposefully going for more very curly and messy hair, as seen in the original pictures in this post. But as I continued to observe my subject, especially with more detailed pictures, I saw that they were not as teddy bear toy as some of my original references suggested.

The picture just above need more groming, but it better than the last few. I even added a basic layer of hair on the hands. When the hair feels right, so to speak, I will be looking at the hands (front and back), nose, eye lids (when I give the poor critter eyes to see with), and ears. Those could do with some good subsurface scattering.

When all seems in order, then I would like to tackle rigging the thing so that I can try to position it in a less bear-ruggy fashion.

1 Like

Nose and fingers showing through better now. Just lots of fiddling about with separate systems, colours etc to end up with a good likeness.

1 Like

No kidding, Some of that was the work of close to 3 hours of fiddling. Anymore and I might become a concert fiddler! :open_mouth:

1 Like

He has eyes! The better to see you with!

I will also let you know that the single eye shots were done in Eevee. I learned how to make refraction work in it, which was as simple as turning on a button in the render section.

The hair and colour still need more work, especially around the ears, and the skin also needs to change colour for the hands and feet. I am having a black undertone for the rest of the body as it creates a “shadow” highlight effect in the fur that I want.

I used a video to help me with the eyes. A very good one in my opinion. I might look at updating my old man’s eyes sometime here.

The loris eyes look a little bloodshot. Late night… heh…

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms