7.190: Furry Heads: Don't beeker about it!

The mission was simple- a ball with a face. It turned into a snowman.

This mission was simple- a ball with hair…

But what else has hair I wonder…

Beeker does…

Beeker with a mustache. Just to complete the lesson.

Beeker with a mustache, after the professor got him to hold some power cables…

Here is my reference picture.

Untitled

I considered doing the professor, but first he has no head hair, save for the textured puppet skin. Besides, someone else had got to it before me.

1. Beeker
Constructing Beeker:

Beeker is a tube and a few balls. The shirt was easy once I figured out what I should do. The coat I would do another way were I to attempt it again. I used a UV Sphere and sculpted it- rather I should have used some squares and another shape to block out the coat rather than pull and sculpt. More work than needed.

The shirt texture was a simple slap on surface method. Results are almost there, but if you look closely at his side shots, you will see that that the box pattern breaks on that side.

1. Discovery: Show Children Hair in Particle Edit
    The teacher said that you could not see the hairs you are manipulating, only the parent strands. I found an option to turn on the hair so that you can see it while manipulating it. So if you do not already know:

When you are in Particle Edit mode:
PariticleEdit

Go to “Options” on the other side of the viewport, below the shading options. Once you have clicked on it search for “Viewport Display” and click on “Children”.
ParticleEditHairView

Perhaps this feature was not available in earlier versions of Blender, hence why Rick said there was none?

Before:

After:

Be Warned: In some cases it might slow down your computer.

9 Likes

Oh it is a Muppet’s character!

Looks very good.
Great use of the hair system.
Textures work well and the sculpted jacket is showing the benefit of the extra detail shaping it allows.

Very usable character now for any scene of that cartoon style. (if he has legs too!)

1 Like

No, no hands, feet or stomach. It is like the old man, a Beeker Bust!

But as a side note, I had a sibling’s children at my home and so I took that old man and had fun with it with them watching. They got a kick out of what I created for them:

I suppose I don’t need to take the dragon course :wink:

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms