5.128: Mary Had a Little Lamp

I have finished making my glass Lamp “shade”. The glass lamp shape is more or less how I want it. I may fine tune it later, but for now it is passable.

I will concentrate on adding more detailed colour later. The arms look perhaps a little too delicate. I may modify this later. Maybe all I need to do is shrink the glass down?

As for the Glass, I went here for instruction.

5 Likes

Yes the arms look thin, if you make the glass smaller the base will seem huge but it may be easier to shrink both the base and the glass?

Good work om the glass it can be all sorts of problems to get sorted out!

2 Likes

I’m more a “Form follows function” guy.

The lamp doesn’t shine as a light beam but as a point light. So, then why using an arm contruct?
I understand the aesthetics of this, but from a viewer’s point of view, it can be confusing.

2 Likes

Oh I get what you mean, never thought of it. The usually shaded lamps are directional, but a lamp giving light out all round is not, so has no need for a flexible arm that can direct a limited light cone.

I see a special light directing and focusing shade having to be invented! :rofl:

1 Like

And so it should be.

Thus I will attempt to make excuses:

1. The intensity of the light can be adjusted according to how close or far you want the light from the area. It also allows the light a certain maneuverability , clearing up desk space. Think about having a ceiling lamp, but a little closer. Likewise, such a lamp could be fixed to a wall (and even a ceiling).
    Of course this would have to be situated higher above so as to avoid lamp glare (hence why the lamp shade would be more useful for this purpose), unless you have a candle or an actual oil lamp.
  2. Some objects are created with function following form. Look at most Chinese products :slight_smile:

It is true that they should serve a function, do it well, and have aesthetic to round it out. But when you smash different ideas together: just to see what happens… well… practicality does not come naturally to some. Not naming any names :smirk:

Besides, if the lamp were turned upside-down and a shade put on top be all that much better?

Just look at this guy, he looks pretty shady. It looks like he is up do no good.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms