2024 Collab: Week 27 “Cold” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2024, week 27 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Cold”.

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2024-07-06T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

3 Likes

Today June 6th seems to be my Game Dev birthday. I then started the Complete Blender course in 2016. It took me well over a year to complete the 250+ course challenges. From SFX, animations, modeling, particles, etc.
That was in the era when the Blender UI had not yet been improved (2.78). And I still use the computer from back then.
I still find working with Blender very interesting and challenging. There is always something new to learn.

Why do you stick with GameDev, you ask? When I started I also had many questions and few solutions. But many of my questions were not answered. And then I thought: maybe I should set a good example and try to answer questions from other students myself. Even if you get an insignificant response, you still get the feeling that you are being heard. Your motivation to persevere in the profession you do increases.

The GameDev community is also fairly small. As a beginner you will not easily be overshadowed by semi-professionals and students with more experience and talent. I see a lot of respect in the weekly Collab. Motivating beginners to persevere.

Have fun and show what you can do!

See one of my earlier posts! Course chapter about particles (hair, grass).

13 Likes

11 Likes

Looks like a cozy igloo. Really like the translucency effect you created with the shader.

1 Like

Happy 8 years here, FedPete! Thanks for helping us all out here in the Gamedev community.

2 Likes

My first thought with the word cold was “ice”. And as I was thinking how I’d do something icy, I started thinking about penguins. When I started looking up penguins, I found various cute wool penguins on various sites like Etsy. I decided to create a little scene for my wooly penguins to sit in with crocheted trees and cardboard backdrops. It’s both cold and cozy :).

Wireframe:

Updated render correcting cardboard texture in BG, darkened backdrop to better frame the penguins and other elements, and improved the yarn trees by making them look even more worn - as if they’ve been used for years.

12 Likes

I have been really enjoying your collab entries. This one has some awesome detail! There is something strange to me about the mountains; some combination of the focus and the texture makes it seem unnaturally blurry–they seem to have less detail than the clouds, which are further away. Exactly because everything else has such rich detail, it draws my attention. I think a rougher texture on the mountains, and maybe a slight taming of the FOV, would help unify the scene.

1 Like

Thanks, @Turgul. Think of this like a diorama or a shadowbox. The mountains and clouds are cardboard flats that are actually all very close together. They are not far apart. What may be throwing you are the clouds have horizontal cardboard lines which show up more prominently than the vertical and, especially, the one small cloud attached to the bigger cloud that has even stronger horizontal lines. I will tone down the displacement on that one and the other clouds and that may help resolve things better. I will also adjust the scale of the cardboard lines. I think the cloud lines may be too small which is also throwing things off.

I just adjusted the size of the cardboard lines and I think it already feels better. I will re-render later today to test my theory. Thanks again!

6 Likes

I think you did a great job with the diorama idea! I also think the cardboard looks better here. I think part of what was visually confusing before was the expectation that a diorama box is small so the blur difference between the mountain and the penguin right in front seemed a bit too much. I look forward to the updated render :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for all you do for the GDTV Blender community!

3 Likes

Thanks again, @Turgul. I don’t know how much you know about photography and lenses, so I apologize if you already know this stuff. I wanted the scene to have a very shallow depth of field. In Blender, I set up the camera to be 150mm with a f-stop of 1.2. That’s a really high aperture with a shallow depth of field. I took a photo of some items on my desk to demonstrate.

I shot the Lego figures with the same settings as Blender: 150mm at 1.2 aperture. The lamp in the shot is 3 inches behind the Lego parrot, which is about 4-5 inches behind the Lego AT-ST and the batteries are about 2 - 3 inches in front of the AT-ST. With such a shallow depth of field, only the AT-ST head and part of one battery are in focus.

Hope this helped explain my thought process.

6 Likes

I am not sure that it is so cold, or I am dreaming about it because it is starting to be hot here :hot_face:, but this is what I am working on. I had a totally different idea (it happens really often these days :grin:), but simply had to make that glass.

At last, at least I could manage to add some sprinkles, let’s try this one!

11 Likes

This looks delicious! Now I want gelato :rofl:

1 Like

10 Likes

That looks really tasty, too. However, you may want to adjust the cookies a bit as they look more like uncooked pasta. I believe you are making tuile rolls, which look like this: https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/belgian-tuile-biscuit-curl-belgian-tuile-biscuit-curl-isolated-white-242545401.jpg
Hope the reference helps!

2 Likes

yeah still playing with it haven’t used blender in about a month so relearning it forgot a lot of shortcut keys and where stuff is but its coming back slowly
https://stock.adobe.com/images/vanilla-strawberry-and-chocolate-sundae-ice-cream-cup-and-wafer-isolated-on-pink-background/233459399
more like a wafer is what i’m going for

1 Like

I would’ve liked to add a few more props here and there to fill the scene out, but really, I’m just glad I managed to find some time for this.

Noot-Noot! XD

7 Likes

You done did it! And great choice to add the sprinkles on top. Nicely done!

2 Likes

That penguin is an Artiste! Absolutely adorable expression. Love that it is tooting its own horn, so-to-speak.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms