2024 Collab: Week 14 “Surveillance” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2024, week 14 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Surveillance”.

• Surveillance culture explores the delicate balance between security and privacy in a society – delving into the complexities of its implications on individual freedoms, the human psyche, and the built environment that we inhabit.
  • Subject selected by the previous Week 12, 2024 “Horror" winner Cypherpoet

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2024-04-06T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

5 Likes

I wanted to make a society completely transparent. Every object is transparent (glass), and everything is under surveillance …

But slow machine and glass in-glass need to have different Blender settings. Also, denoiser gets into trouble. Also adding more glass objects will be difficult to recognize the part …

Abandoning the project

Can not find a good way to express this idea.

15 Likes

What settings do you recommend for glass in glass? I’m working with an idea atm that has an eye within an glass pyramid but having trouble getting it to render correctly. Also not really sure where I’m going with it but looks cool.

1 Like

6 Likes

I would just start with the basic glass shader!
And using Layer Weight > Fresnel to make glass less or more reflective or other properties.

You can use an environmental map to do the reflections, and when rendering disable it as background, to using an other type of background.

It also depends on using Eevee or Cycles!

1 Like

Thanks, I forgot all about the layer weight node. Takes me back to the Blender 2.7 and 2.8 courses, Mike used it a lot.

1 Like

Updated my project. I wasn’t planning on it but others have yet to submit this week and I didn’t want to leave it unfinished just incase mine is the only one.

3 Likes

Yes, I expected more participants, because I had many ideas to choose from.

• Control room with many displays
  • people surveying other people, serveying other people …
  • A hallway with hundreds of cameras watching a door.
  • using eyeballs …
1 Like

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your entry.

The new subject week 15 “Secret puzzle box” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Surveillance” challenge may select a subject for next week 16 and win a badge.

1 Like

Is Surveillance still open?

No, the new Collab subject starts on Saturday.
This week is

nice Pete , when you said you abandoned your project I thought that meant you weren’t entering, I really like how the glass panels on the bottom almost look like a reflection opening up avenues for interpretation.

1 Like

That’s right, but there were too few participants.

@ShadowFireSage congratulations on your winning entry for the “Surveillance” Collab. It is recognizable and a bit mystique. Very nice glass effects!

• FedPete - I struggled with this one. Glass is transparent, so how to distinguish those objects. Glass especially gives me a headache :wink: Also, I needed to increase ray limits because there was so much ray bouncing that some areas turned black.
    Lesson learned, which is a part of the Collab.
2 Likes

Privacy & Terms