2023 Collab: Week 5 “Asset Archive” - VOTE CLOSED

Such a great theme! Never have I ever used append so extensively for a scene :smiley: This is my storage of objects made by following courses and tutorials (with a few exceptions of my original models since I deleted a lot of study blender files and didn’t have enough pieces to fill this shelf)

18 Likes

Very nice! I like the display case lighting. I’m guessing there are lights inside each cube? I also like how you’ve given them the same material. It really unifies the collection of diverse objects. Well done!

Yeah it’s been an interesting experience. In working on my project so far, I’ve found it to feel more like 3D project management than 3D modeling.

3 Likes

I challenged myself to make something without making anything new.
Here is a sci-fi render I come up with from three assets I had lying around.

Assets used:

A tool for holding wire
A crystal ball
A star field generator

11 Likes

Thanks :blush: No lights, every cube has top and bottom planes with 0,5 emission material and there is also one backdrop plane with higher emission behind the scene. Individual lights would probably lag this file extremely. For the materials, I don’t know whether it’s a right way, but I manually deleted all materials on objects at the moment of importing them to a scene. Then as a finishing touch I added unified material to one object - selected all objects through collections- selected colored object last- ctrl L - copy linked materials or smth like that .
Maybe there is a way to clean all materials at once easier than I approached it

4 Likes

It turns out that I already have a small collection of models. They were all made from YouTube tutorials.

12 Likes

Wonderful, try to improve lighting a bit …
(Try a sun lamp, work with sun-angle to soften shadows if you need so)

2 Likes

lighting is hard :woozy_face: and the most difficult thing is that I don’t know what exactly to improve :laughing:
Just in case, if inspiration catches up with me, should I publish the new version with a new post or replace the old picture?

2 Likes

Definitely a new version. Seeing everyones progress is part of the fun.

3 Likes

“I’ll just take a few minutes and create a scene for the blender collab”

6 hours later…

This was a great topic though. I couldn’t resist.

11 Likes

Exactly. )))) Because you can’t just poke a bunch of objects around the scene. It should be done in an interesting and beautiful way!

Cool badger!

2 Likes

New version, slightly corrected and with new light. Still, lighting is difficult …

11 Likes

After Hours at the Undercroft

Spent way too much time on such a silly project, but it was too much fun! I’d like to go back and do even more, but I say that about every project :man_facepalming: :laughing: .

12 Likes

Great reuse!
Did you had any issues about scaling en textures going wrong?

1 Like

Much improvemen, well done!

1 Like

Great scene. It reminds me of the paramount commercial with all the characters talking to each other. I like the car and the toy train. And of course your robot. It all fits together so well.

3 Likes

Just a bit more work to make it look less like it’s floating in the middle of nowhere.

10 Likes

Good thought!

1 Like

@FedPete yeah there were some scaling issues, but I had more trouble with particle hair. The length of the hair doesn’t seem to scale with the scale of the model.

@GameProgrammer2k thanks! I like the robot too. I think it’s probably the best standalone model in my scene. I like your scene too. The addition of the door is nice to give it more context, but I feel like with the current framing, the door is being given equal importance to the shelf, which I think is the real focus.

@Kzanna I like how your assets fit in together. They are different from each other, yet have a cohesive style. The lighting in the second image is a definite improvement.

@zeRgenTa I saw from the file name that it’s a space dock, but it seems more abstract to me. But I think that’s cool. Could be a lens, could be a portal, could be a space ship. My only issue is that the most interesting part (the middle bits) are too small and a little difficult to see.

4 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the new subject week 6 “mushrooms” has already started. The winner of this week’s “mushrooms” challenge may select a subject for next week 7 and wins a badge.

3 Likes

This weeks congratulations goes to @anastasions and @Tyger2 for their wonderful presentation of assets from previously created projects. Anastasions did it in a stylish way, with an eye for detail (same sort of presentation for all objects). Tyler2 has a beautiful composition, where you keep looking and every time you see something new. A really playful scene.

• Kzanna - Welcome, I’m glad you’ve improved the lighting. It’s a good scene. Lot’s of fun details, we hope to see more from you.
  • GameProgrammer2k - It is a good improvement to add a door to give more context to the scene. Try to improve the lighting (softer shadows, experiment with HDRI, or world lighting)
  • zeRgenTa - Love the colors and textures, but I miss a bit of recognition of old assets …

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone for any reason. I try to write down positive ideas and visions that I have in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms