2023 Collab: Week 27 “Classic Cars” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2023, week 27 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Classic Cars”.

• Classic Cars - A classic car is an older car, typically 25 years or older, though definitions vary. The common theme is of an older car of historical interest is collectible and tends to be restored rather than scrapped. Classic cars are a subset of a broader category of “collector cars”.
  • Subject selected by the previous Week 25 “Battlestar Galactica” winner consummatumest

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2023-07-08T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

4 Likes

1927 Ford Model T Touring Car (W.I.P)

12 Likes

Not participating

13 Likes

I decided to practice subdiv. Haven’t created hardsurf for almost half a year

10 Likes

Unfortunately, I can’t participate. The modeling of the car only took a few days, but it was a couple of weeks ago. Most of the time was spent optimizing polycount and studying how little of seams could be placed on the car before stretching occurred. The environment around the car was made yesterday. The intention for the first image was to replicate those car posters / commercials of the 1970s where they had a new car outside at sunset.

12 Likes

Oh wow, great slides.
I like the wet tiles version, it looks more realistic.
The advertising version is too shiny, and too artificial. Don’t know why. The wet road is beautiful!
“too artificial” because it stands still? Maybe wheel motion blur?

Have fun!

2 Likes

No reason no to we have all used old projects as a staring point.
Looks great. FedPete has a point, to be in the middle of the road the tyres should be moving, but parked at the side of the road they would look right.

Did well to make the car so quickly, not the sort of thing, shapes, I have ever tried.

4 Likes

I definitely am a fan of this :heart_eyes: and I am not sure why you are saying that you can’t participate? My vote will be yours if you do :slight_smile: I really liked the poster version as well and it seems well lit to me.

3 Likes

I appreciate the feedback from all of you. The reason I say I can’t participate is that these challenges have a single weeks time to complete them. I don’t think it’d be fair to vote on a work that took longer than that while others may be just starting this week.

I posted my work only to encourage others. That’s actually how I got on this car modelling tangent in the first place. I’ve seen some amazing images of modern cars that were actually 3D and not photographs. So it got me to do something I have never tried before (and initially had no interest in). It’s been a great experience for understanding topology flow and sub-d.

I have a few more things I want to do for this model (make interior / rig), and eventually make it available for free on sketchfab for others to use / study.

Thanks again for the feedback and I look forward to seeing the works for this challenge. :+1:

6 Likes

I agree. :+1:

I also forgot to add translucency to the plants nearest to the car in the last render.

5 Likes

I followed a course from Darrin Lile to create this classic car (1952 Nash Healey to be exact). It took me over a month to finish the modeling and final animation.

I chose this topic to show the results here and after reading @3DE_Study’s comment I will not participate as well because I could see that modeling a photorealistic car in a week is a very hard task to do :slight_smile:

This was the first time I’ve used the Video Editor in Blender for combining couple different shots and I could say that I’ve learned a lot when it comes working with subdivision and smoothing meshes.

Here are some WIP renders and viewport screenshots as well

12 Likes

Wow, great project!
Looking realistic as in a brochure.

4 Likes

I don’t know anything about cars, let alone classic cars. Therefore, I was sure that I would not participate, or the result would look like a cardboard box with bicycle wheels.
Luckily, Google found me some great classic cars, even with blueprints.

Bugatti Royale Type 41
It was much more interesting than I expected. Not final, if I find more time to work on the scene.

10 Likes

Me: I don’t need high detail, I don’t have much time!
Also me: this old crate needs full suspension with brakes!

11 Likes

Every time I return to this image I find something missing. This time it was adding mist to the objects in the distance.

If you wish to add fading to the distant objects in your outdoor scenes here’s the node setup:

I found the setup through this video:

The video however sets up the mist node only. The glare, denoise, and lens distortion node I’ve already been using.

If you use the glare node, make sure to use the denoise node as well. Without it, the light from the glare node will have harsh pixels.

8 Likes

12 Likes

Maybe lowering the camera, because from persons point of view it could be the same height as the car.

2 Likes

From the movie that made it a classic

11 Likes

I spent too much time detailing and too little composition.
I chose this Mercedes impulsively. I just wanted something rounded to practice with the subdiv and 300 SL just came to my mind. I worked on it for 15 hours, created extra suspension, but a very simple interior, even without textures. The only texture here is the Mercedes badge. The rest is mesh.
I created the scene in the last hours, but then I realized that it looks too dark.

Therefore, I made the second version - a mirror and a beautiful HDR, always a simple but beautiful composition.

I don’t know which one is better (I like all of them), but I’ll probably give the first one to the competition.

WIPs:
wips

10 Likes

Privacy & Terms