2022 Collab: Week 3 “Recycle your stuff” - CLOSED!

Im using 3.0 as recreational feature for now. Since I tried it to boost my render times, when I did my cannon scene couple of weeks back and lost literally entire scene, I’m a bit wary. It has fresh look and render times can be better in some cases. But I didn’t noticed better/quicker renders with for example volumetrics or particles. So for now, as I’m not over what 2.8/2.9 has to offer. I don’t feel need for further improvement. Maybe year or so I start to touch geometry nodes.

1 Like

You always have starting default cube scene to fall back on to :slight_smile: And it don’t have to be scene for collab. Any scene you did is fine. Doughnut counts too :wink:

2 Likes

Loops are the big … on the net :wink: :money_mouth_face:

WIP of my scene layout.
I’d like to add small snow particles on the needles of the tree, anyone have suggestions as to the best way to go about making that? :thinking:

2 Likes

I think you can do that with geometry nodes. Comparing the branches’ normals and distance from the center of the tree.

If all you want is to make the leaves white-ish then you can do the same directly on the material

2 Likes

Huh, it didn’t even occur to me to try geometry nodes, I will look into it. Thanks! :grinning:

2 Likes

UPDATE:
ezgif.com-gif-maker (4)

Animating is much harder than what I was expecting

7 Likes

Super cool! Any chance you can post a link to a larger size version? :grin:

2 Likes

Looks very nice but at first it looked like that it turns butter into wine :joy: But then I realized sand (from desert) into glass and then recycled?

2 Likes

@simgen Yes.
Sand from the desert > Default Cube of compact sand > A (badly done) glassware > loop
I fixed the glass material, it was not working :stuck_out_tongue:

Those are the 3 scenes that I tried to pull together

@ZachDude Here it is! I also fixed the animation on the “SMASHER”, the timing was odd.
ezgif.com-gif-maker

Open on youtube, right click it and click loop

8 Likes

Yes, that’s very smart :slight_smile:

1 Like

Trying to summon the collab spirit here… I mean, it’s the name of this challenge

A couple of things I learned during this project:

• Don’t do as I did and animate 2 loops instead of 1, the animation is kind of junky where the video cut and it was painful to hide it, animating 2 times is easier to hide that, especially adding motion blur to convey movement
  • I animated almost everything by hand, the exceptions were the conveyors, and the center furnace and its smoke
  • For the conveyors, I used an Array modifier + curve modifier for the shape and animated using a generator modifier on the Y location. The gear was basically a generator on the x rotation.
  • The furnace vibration I animated using a noise on both Y and Z rotation with very short wavelengths
  • The volumetric smoke, this one was quite tricky to figure out because it needs to end with the exact same shape it will start the loop again. To do that I used a noise texture on the displacement of the material and moved the texture using a math cos on the current frame. So, the node looks like this: Value<#frame/(NUMBER_OF_FRAMES +1)*2> → Math Node(either cos or sin) → Combine XYZ → Transform
  • Since this scene is very stylized I used shapekeys to morph between different meshes on both the falling sand and the funnel. In the funnel, the idea was to give the idea that something was happening inside it, that’s why the end result is a cube, not sand.
  • I had to add some personality to the claw otherwise it felt bland and weightless, that’s why it does some sudden movements and even “look” at the glass before it catches it.
2 Likes

The part that me me smile.
Great achievement!

2 Likes

I love the effort! Motivates me to make the best stuff I can as well :laughing:

3 Likes

Just don’t expect an animation every single week LOL

2 Likes

I love the almost disdainful flick of the robot arm as is throws the glass onto the top conveyor belt. :grin:

2 Likes

Have you found some automation for doing this sort of animation. Like vide Python or C++

This was all keyframed, I know that there are some ways to automate some of the movements but I simply overlooked the tutorial, you can check it here: Animate a Character in 15 Minutes in Blender - YouTube

It reminds me of an old, previous, Blender collab:

1 Like

FINAL:
ezgif.com-gif-maker (2)

5 Likes

Privacy & Terms