No, never used it. Some of it is just sloppy “paint” work.
Nope again, did not use the sharpen tool this time.
Nope again, did not redraw it
Nope, about 8.
Actually, probably, give or take.
Layering and Overlay: I simply used overlay on my layers and painted a solid colour. It is your render’s shadows and textures that is doing all the heavy lifting. Some of the lines are sloppy, but I was not going for perfection.
Inking: No edge detect, no sharpening, just simply applying a “artistic” filter- Ink sketch. Twiddle with the features a little. Then I duplicated it and blurred it. This layer I imposed on top as a Relflective layer (I think, but glow, overlay, and some others were pretty close contenders). I turned down the layer filter. This allowed for a nice glow and reflective look, as well as some dynamic colour changes and transitions- making it “pop” if you will.
Clone stamp: I did not redraw the head, I actually reused all the material that was already there. I cut the nose and mouth and placed it where I wanted it on another layer, and then used the other parts of the head, in conjunction with the head and mouth parts, as my colour palette. Turning the colour solidity way down (around 24ish in most cases, the highest transparency being about 255), I was able to clone what a wanted and have a decent enough transition between the pieces.
The Scraggly short hair on his head was a happy accident when trying to apply the back of the head shadow. It looked like hair, so I began cloning it everywhere.
I was going to be ambitions and add boots on the villain using the woman’s boots, but I saw that would have been too much out of scope (believe it or not, I actually stopped myself )
Here is the modified head and some colour. His head is different here. I copy and pasted the shoulder chest hair to the other side where it never existed.
More colour quickly pasted on, with some slight touchups, not really caring if I make mistakes.
Background using the overlay features and doing some cloning to fill in the picture. If you look closely you will see that come of the picture bleeds into the character. Those are spot that I did not erase due to laziness. Likewise, colour bleeds into the picture.
I inked it and then Blurred it:
Giving it the dynamic finished look: