2022 Collab: Week 14 “Myths & Legends" - CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2022, week 14 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Myths & Legends”.

• “Myths & Legends” - It can be a depiction of a scene from a myth, a character, an object, a landscape or even a humorous interpretation of a legend. The subject is not limited to ancient mythology, it can cover urban legends too.
  • Subject selected by the previous week 12 "Idioms” winner: Cathy_N

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2022-04-09T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

7 Likes

I started working on a little sculpt for this week’s challenge. It is going to be a humanoid creature from some folklore legends. I would like to animate its face at some point in the future ( when I get to the rigging part in the course). I want to have a nice “reusable” sculpt. So the question is do I need to leave its mouth slightly open in order to animate facial expressions?

3 Likes

Started out working on a critter sculpt, but I took it into terrifying hell abomination rather quickly on accident. :sweat_smile: After some reflection, think I’m burning out a touch on critters…I’ve done about ten in the past month or so. Probably going to do a mythical place or item instead.

3 Likes

There’s no such thing as too many critters! :smiley: Or you could turn it into some sort of insectoid hybrid, there are so many mythical creatures like that. No matter what creature you come up with, it probably already exists in some legends and folklore tales, that’s what I like about this theme lol

2 Likes

My entry will be based upon the best rejection line I’ve ever heard in my life “Why should I bother with you? When you are not the embodiment of the spirit that would move into the unknown and face the leviathan!” :rofl:

3 Likes

I think that’s a good idea to leave some space in-between the lips. If nothing else, it will make the retopology and weight painting much easier than if there was no gap. :slight_smile:
Also, if you want to, feel free to share the early part of the sculpt :grin:
This is great because
a.) The worse it looks to begin (and sculpts always start out awful in my experience :laughing:) the more impressive the result is!
b.) It encourages others to post their WIP’s also!
c.) I love digital sculpting and seeing others’ work.

3 Likes

I’m currently learning about environment design and all the different software and techniques that go into creating it, but I really want to participate this week, and I have an idea on how… :thinking:

6 Likes

I’m a bit beyond the very early stage of sculpting so this is where I’m at:
R1_v3

I’m just doing an experiment. I did this rough low detail sculpt. My theory is that when I finish retopology all these tiny bumps will not be visible and it should look smooth and “clean”. And later I will add procedural details with displacement. I just want to see the end result because if my plan works then it is a very fast way of making characters! This sculpt took me roughly 1,5 - 2 h. If I were to refine it and sculpt veins and other things that this creature has it would take much longer. Not sure where this is going :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

8 Likes

In the process of bringing back the high poly details on a low poly model.
These bumps will be part of the texture.
But then, these irregularities can be smoothed using Photoshop.
Because high poly data is transformed into image maps.

2 Likes

Cool! Is that the default UE mannequin?

1 Like

Yup! It’s just there for scale purposes though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do appreciate it, but I am feeling a touch of burnout on critters, and a little underpracticed in solid shapes.

Current WIP, more or less at a concept stage - still some stuff to do, and potentially some reworks.

7 Likes

House of Soviets
In the center of my hometown stands an abandoned building called the House of Soviets. Some locals call it “robot head” and that one day it will wake up. Well, it’s gonna be an interesting day.
Made it in two days. Alas, there is no more time to finish it.

WIPs:

Main reference:

15 Likes

I really like the style of this building

This is awesome, I really like the stylized sun

4 Likes

I’m trying an approach of doing the modeling, texturing and lighting all kind of together, which makes for an interesting workflow.

10 Likes

Still working at it, and did a remodel of the pyramids for a cleaner mesh. Improved sky and water are likely my next major tackles, and then the vegetation of the backdrop. Part of me wants to “frame” the view with some fog or drooping vines or such, but I’m undecided on that.

12 Likes

I’ve seen recently a movie (on Netfilx) where buildings are basically AI robots, caring for the people inside. It was a love story between AI and a resident.

2 Likes

It looks great! For some reason it reminds me of the game The Forgotten City (well some final locations) which was interestingly made by a team of only 3 people. The scale of the place, dim lighting and colour scheme contribute nicely to the atmosphere of forgotten mysterious ruins.

2 Likes

Thanks! :grin:
I hadn’t heard of that game but I like the art style, interesting that they used UE4 also.
I certainly won’t finish my environment in time for this week, so I guess it could be considered concept art for the final thing :laughing:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms