2022 Collab: Week 11 “Water" - CLOSED

caustics. exagiraed. redo

1 Like

I just used some material node based on vonoroi. To mimic water reflections, using Eevee but later switched to Cycles.

1 Like

This is exactly what I did =)

1 Like

I’ll keep playing with the lighting, yeah. I already did tone down the Jellyfish lights - (and tone up the ship’s red light) a little. Maybe I move one of them closer to the big fellow… Not sure I want to introduce a fourth type of light source in the scene.

I’ll think on it.

As an unrelated aside, ditto on voronoi shenanigans for water-surface shadows.

1 Like

This is NOT a submission, but just for fun I thought I’d share the full version of my profile thumbnail since it was my first water related piece (made in Maya):

The splash was such a pain to simulate :laughing:

13 Likes

Alrighty. Lots of miscellaneous modifications and tweaks, edited emission values, and fixed the sand. Unless I say otherwise, this is probably my final version.

Edit: Swapped it out with an extremely light change for better definition on the yellow jellyfish.
Edit 2: Swapped out again for an improved render.

11 Likes

I like so much about this, but damn if that face isn’t terrifying. :laughing:

2 Likes

The version you’re looking for that has caustics is here: Blender Builds - blender.org

You’ll want to click the link that says “All Archived Builds” and find D13533. That’s the patch build that has caustics available. There may be a more recent build, but I haven’t had time to read through them and see.

2 Likes

So, if anyone wants to eye-roll at the newb, I’ve been using CPU instead of GPU for rendering this whole time. Turns out that’s actually quite impactful. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh really? :laughing:
He was supposed to look like he was having fun haha

3 Likes

To be honest, it’s partly because the rest of the body looks so relatively plausible/almost realistic. And then you get to the face and its proportions are whacky. They’re fun kind of whacky, mind, and he definitely looks like he’s having fun, but there is a touch of uncanny valley lol.

3 Likes

Ah that makes sense, I appreciate the feedback! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Never got any on that project so I was stuck with my own POV

3 Likes
  1. Water simulation is hard
  2. It’s looking bad
  3. It’s too heavy even on my high-end computer (probably because I’m doing something wrong)

So I’m giving up, I’ll work on another project

10 Likes
  1. This is true
  2. It’s not that bad
  3. You’re probably not doing anything wrong
  4. Don’t give up!
    :grin:
4 Likes

Ok, changed everything, now I’m having fun with the ocean modifier… no simulations here!

8 Likes

Really small update, I just added the rocks using weight paint + geo nodes.
But now no one will ask me about the submarine.

8 Likes

OHH I was holding off asking about the submarine in case it turned out to be something else! :rofl:
Thought the conning tower was in an odd place.

2 Likes

Another small update…

9 Likes

Nothing even remotely fancy, just a random entry kinda inspired by a game called Skyrim.

14 Likes

If the water is falling off the island where does it come from!? :grin:
No wonder the tree died! (no leaves) :rofl:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms