2022 Collab: Week 1 “Glassware” - CLOSED

Happy New Year, my dear fellow Blenderers! :partying_face:

So glass it is?
Then I may proudly present:
The Winter-Butterfly!

I have shot quite some pics of it due to the rare opportunity to meet such an adorable little critter in wildlife, but instead I will add a short video of it, directly after the hatching from it’s cocoon:

For those of you being interested I also add a brief description about this rare crypto-critter:
I had the lucky opportunity to find a cocoon of the rare species of Winter-Butterfly or Wintermoth, in some regions also called Snowmoth, and placed it under an old snow globe; the butterfly hatched after a short while and began to fly as soon as it’s wings had dried.
Because the constant emission of snowflakes from the wings the butterfly is able to stabilize it’s flight and to actually fly on the spot.
Of course I let it free directly after taking this short video of it.

Winter-Butterflies are getting rare because of global warming; up to now it is still unclear if they bring the snow or if they are simply living in icy habitats only. Keep your eyes open in the cold and you might spot one on your own :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Very nice and very different idea, with story!

2 Likes

Not the most original idea I admit, and I had help from a tutorial, but here is my first time submitting for the weekly challenge. Cocoa on a winter day :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

20 Likes

Looks tasty and that is a good tutorial. I learned from it a while ago. The bit of sculpting around the marshmallows. Although, I think yours is better with more marshmallows and the chocolate sauce.
I have to say though, the edges that are visible on the candy canes does break the realism of the render. Other than that, it’s very photo real.

5 Likes

True, a subdivision would make it much much better.
Also, please send the tutorial, it’s for a friend…LOL

1 Like

What good feedback! I agree with you, but I can’t quite place it, do you mean the edges that make up the shape, or the stripes?

For sure! My biggest deviation was the chocolate sauce on top.

Hot Cocoa :coffee: (Blender Tutorial) - YouTube

2 Likes

I can definitely say your’s much better than the tutorial.
You modeled the chocolate or used liquid simulation?

1 Like

I used grease pencil actually! I drew where I wanted it, setting the stroke placement to surface so it would stick. Then converted that to a curve, adding a bevel for thickness and editing the shape for variation.

5 Likes

All I know is that right now it’s impossible for me to know who I’ll be voting for =/

2 Likes

Oh that chocolate sauce on top is what’s getting me, as I’m a chocoholic by nature. :grinning:

3 Likes

The shape itself, you can see the hard corners on the outer edges. The stripes are a bit thin compared to most you see in stores, but that’s up to the candy maker.

1 Like

100% agree. I love me some good chocolate.

1 Like

Well, as it turns out, on all my other forums, I have what’s called a “signature” which allows you to place text and/or images on all your posts, and all of mine say:

“OK, Where’s my chocolate?”

One of the guys on one of the forums I visit regularly has, from time to time, posted one of these for me. :wink:

Chocolate-1

Chocolate-3

ENJOY!!

11 Likes

Do you know if it was made with Blender?

1 Like

The chocolate? I have no idea. I don’t know if this particular person works with Blender, as I think he posted these in a number of different subforums, depending on what software I was working with at the time.

2 Likes

Whoever wins needs to pick “chocolate” as the next theme

1 Like

A long we all enjoy looking at lovely drips of chocolate and positive critique is flowing I will add my bit :slight_smile:
On the top of certain pointiness on chocolate curves my observation is that candy stick ends don’t realy perfectly round off. They cut them off sort of square? Also colour twist goes all the way up :wink:

2 Likes

Magnificent Emperor!

However might I just suggest it was not a good idea to order the banquet glassware from your Tailor! Glasswear may have been subject to a misunderstanding.

11 Likes

I still wish there was a laugh reaction with the heart for liking a post. This is wonderfully hilarious. Would this also be known as a birthday suit? :smiley:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms